• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    I am venturing into 300 blackout and have a question about standard vs heavy barrel. I am starting with a 16 inch barrel with a pistol length gas system. I may, in the future, think about SBR; but for now, I am staying with the 16 inch length.
    I'm seeing heavy barrel as a typical designation, marked hbar. What I am not sure of is on this product,
    https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...r-receiver-keymod-300-blackout-prod97307.aspx

After talking with the tech at Brownells they tell me this is a standard barrel. It has an outside diameter of .075.
    So does 300 blackout as a standard have a heavy barrel or do I need something actually marked "hbar" like Colt and some others stamp on the barrel?
    Am I right in thinking that a heavy barrel is preferred with the additional pressures created with the 300 round?

Thanks in advance...

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    A heavy barrel is not necessary. Lot's of guys are out there running "light weight" barrels and such. Pressures won't be an issue.

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    A heavy barrel is not necessary. Lot's of guys are out there running "light weight" barrels and such. Pressures won't be an issue.

+1 to that. The cartridge isn't as powerful as rifle cartridges (it can use magnum pistol powders). No need for an HBar unless you're in combat against deer? I run an M4 profile and no worries.

Also, why 16"? You can get great velocity and power with 9" in this caliber if you want to try a pistol/brace/stabilizer combo. I remebered to mention mine is 10.5. Of course I'm not trying to use this as a marksman's tool either, it is mainly for 50 yds or less in my case.

Last edited:

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    +1 to that. The cartridge isn't as powerful as rifle cartridges (it can use magnum pistol powders). No need for an HBar unless you're in combat against deer? I run an M4 profile and no worries.

Also, why 16"? You can get great velocity and power with 9" in this caliber if you want to try a pistol/brace/stabilizer combo. I remebered to mention mine is 10.5. Of course I'm not trying to use this as a marksman's tool either, it is mainly for 50 yds or less in my case.
    I had thought about a shorter length and may still in the future... I simply already had some components on hand and wanted to utilize them. I appreciate the info given though...

tallpaulr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    I run a suppressed 16in. I spent the money there instead of the SBR. its awesome, hoping to get out and test it on turkeys this spring here in South dakota

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    I hear ya, that extra 200 for the SBR and all the paperwork doesnt seem too fun

No need for SBR. I run mine as a pistol, which can also be used to hunt w/5 round mag if memory serves. Maybe some want to carry it on their hip or in their car? Ha ha.

With the 10.5" barrel and a good cheek weld (no stock, that's SBR) at 50ft with the red dot I can knock pistol tree plates off the stand. If you want to make it a 16, it will just push more FPS, but not at all necessary.

Article:
    https://www.pewpewtactical.com/300-blackout/

Last edited:

tallpaulr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    unless you start running full auto you won't need that heavy barrel at all. not to say they don't make them and heck hey sell plenty but more that you need. Classic Arms usually has some nice m4 contour for around 70

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    I purchased a very similar complete upper from Brownells, on sale, chambered in 5.56. https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...per-receiver-black-keymod-5-56-prod86806.aspx. These uppers are assembled by ATI. FF rail and the gas block were both out of alignment. I corrected this, only to discover that the bottom of the 'low profile gas block' is actually pushing against the not-so free float rail. Waiting for a low profile gas block to arrive. It's been an interesting project. Hindsight, I should have passed on this upper and purchased one from PSA.

Top Bottom