• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    This one was a 1 off, A little RIA compact, requested gold bead front sight. 2 challenges on this one though. 1 someone or maybe RIA did a proprietary front dovetail cut that I could not buy a blank to fit. 2nd the front sight needed to be .135 tall. very short.

Instead of buying a blank for this one since it would not fit any better then the plain black sights I already had in a drawer. I decided to modify one of those and buy a gold bead insert to install in that.

I had to remove .045 from the front sight blade. I indexed it in level while installed on the slide and milled off the excess.

Then after locating center, the sight was basically a square block .135x.135 I did a .125 contersink for the visable part of the bead then a .090 hole for the shaft.

Looks big in the pic

before refinishing

DSCN0389 by Allen Moore, on Flickr

After refinishing with cerakote armors black and bead epoxied in

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I've run into the RIA dovetail situation before and I believe they do have do have their own proprietary cut. It seems I remember the angles were the same as one of the other standard cuts but it's much shallower.
    Great work Allen. I've found I see a black rear and gold bead front better than anything else I've used. I'm sure who ever belongs to that pistol will be extremely happy with it.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    “Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

brchixwing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Nov 13, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Your work is awesome, looks like it came like that from the factory! The gold bead reminded me of this 1911 bling:

[video=youtube;Axptt61oQDA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axptt61oQDA[/video]

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Your work is awesome, looks like it came like that from the factory! The gold bead reminded me of this 1911 bling:

[video=youtube;Axptt61oQDA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axptt61oQDA[/video]

Yikes,

Thanks all, it was kind of nice little job to take a break on :)

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Allen, your work never ceases to amaze me. Beautifully done. We thank the man above for gunsmiths like you that are true artisans. Keep up the good work!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Man I love gold bead sights. Boy I love the gold bead Allen installed on my gun, not this gun another gun. We are truly blessed to have a couple excellent 1911 smiths in Indiana.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Nice work Allen....

.005" on each side of that countersink isn't much and makes getting that sukka centered even more critical. Good job.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    checked with my go to guy and he said his recollection was it was a Novak cut but shallower..

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    “Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Top Bottom