• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2018
    Muncie
    Does anyone know a good gunsmith near the Muncie/New castle area that can replace the gas block on my GP WASR 10/63? It has the bayonet lug shaved off and I would like return it to its original configuration. I already have a replacement gas block with bayonet lug for a MD 63 that should fit. I would attempt to do this myself but I've read it requires a hydraulic press and a vice and most likely a jig. All of which I do not have. My concern is getting everything aligned back on so the front sight and gas block aren't canted after reinstalling. Also I dont want the threads on the muzzle to get damaged somehow during this process of removal and installation. If there are any good gunsmiths who have the tools and knowledge to do this job properly please point me in their direction. :rockwoot: :smileak:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Give Brett Havlin an email. https://havlinsfirearmsfinishing.com/

He's also an INGO'er (Squirt239) - but you don't yet have the necessary posts in order to PM him. Best to contact him via the email on his site. He's not in the Muncie area - but not "that" far away near Brownsburg. Take 32 west to Lebanon, down 65 a bit, then another bit west off 65.

Seriously, though, give him an email. And include the link from this thread.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2018
    Muncie
    Give Brett Havlin an email. https://havlinsfirearmsfinishing.com/

He's also an INGO'er (Squirt239) - but you don't yet have the necessary posts in order to PM him. Best to contact him via the email on his site. He's not in the Muncie area - but not "that" far away near Brownsburg. Take 32 west to Lebanon, down 65 a bit, then another bit west off 65.

Seriously, though, give him an email. And include the link from this thread.

I will send him an email and attach a link. Hopefully he will be able to accomplish the task. I would like to do it myself but I don't have the tools or know-how. I've ordered a thread protector to put on the muzzle for whenever the front sight and gas block get pressed off. I don't want the threads to get knicked whenever the sight and gas block are removed and reinstalled. Hopefully whenever the gas block is removed it won't scratch the finish either, or be canted upon being reassembled. It will be awesome to finally be able to attach my surplus Romy bayonet to the rifle as it was originally intended to be.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2018
    Muncie

That would be really fun and educational to attend an AK build party. Avon isn't all that far away either. I would be interested in going if I found a ride there but I wonder what I would need to bring there in order to actually get the pins in and out of the sight and gas block? I wonder if a press will be there for use and I'll just need the bits to press the pins or if I would need a jig and everything? I guess I would just have to contact the person throwing said party. Thanks!

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Contact AllenM. He is hosting the AK build party at Diamond Collision. He will be able to tell you what tools you'll need or if he will be able to press the pins out for you.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    We will definitely have at least one press (mine). The gas block is easy to remove. Punch the pins out and use a crescent wrench (17mm or 19mm, if I remember correctly) to support as you push the barrel down (with a penny to protect the crown).

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2018
    Muncie
    We will definitely have at least one press (mine). The gas block is easy to remove. Punch the pins out and use a crescent wrench (17mm or 19mm, if I remember correctly) to support as you push the barrel down (with a penny to protect the crown).

When you press the pins out and back in do you need a certain size bit so the pinholes won't get deformed and so the pin doesn't get dimpled or mushroomed? I have access to a press but I'm not exactly sure how it's done. Is there anything keeping the pin lined up to the hole as its being pressed in? Whenever I use a pin and punch I usually line up the pin with my punch through the opposite side of the pinhole before tapping to make sure it's aligned. Does this same method apply with pressing pins? If so how is it done? Where exactly do you clamp down the crescent wrench for support and what are you supporting? Perhaps the barrel is being supported as the gas block is being pressed off?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2018
    Muncie
    I believe the purpose of the build party is to answer all your questions and to show you how to do it.:yesway:

That is true, but I'm not sure if I'll have a way to Avon next month to attend unfortunately. I do however have the replacement gas block with pins and have access to a press through an acquaintance and would like to know what else I will need to do the pressing and how it's done properly. :ingo:

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I just use a steel punch and hammer to get this pins out. Usually they go from left to right so put them back in the opposite way. Use the wrench to support under the gas block as you push it up off the barrel. You'll have to do the same thing with the front sight too if you want the gas block off. To get them back on, I keep the gas block/front sight aligned to the rear block and use a metal pipe with a slightly larger inner diamer than the barrel outer diamer. I smack the end of the pipe as it slowly pushes the component to the correct location to line up with the pin holes. You can do it with a press but that requires more setup and I like the workout from the caveman method.

I just put an AK74 gas block and front sight back together including the pins yesterday. I used to have videos on YT that showed exactly how to do all of this, but that's a big no-no so I had to take them all down.

Top Bottom