• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I noticed that my extractor rod was loose and I screwed the rod back into the extractor and the range, and thought nothing of it.
    Tonight, as I was gathering guns for a range run I noticed that the extractor was lose again.
    When I went to screw it in it would not do so.
    The extractor rod (part #1 from the Numrich site) seems to have bad male threads.
    I don't know if the female threads in the extractor itself (part #9) are compromised and bad also.

I could order the parts: $10 and $40 respectively, but I was hoping there might be a local place that would have a parts bin for Smith revolvers.
    I especially need to find out if the female threads on the extractor itself are OK or not so I don't waste money needlessly.

Below are pics and if you have any suggestions I would appreciate it.

212sHld.jpg

You can see here where the rod needs screwed in more to be able to shut the cylinder.
    JP6TtjK.jpg

You can see the rod ready to be screwed into the extractor with the center pin and spring in place and the bad threads.
    3rP0mzG.jpg

Center pin and spring in extrator with rod ready to go over pin and then into extractor and see the bad threads.
    k8tPzQg.jpg

rod into extractor (but won't screw in) with center pin not inside both pieces.
    lEpAGzk.jpg

HEoBJgQ.jpg

pic of gun when assembled and it seemed fine, but when I took out the cylinder (which was resistant due to the drag that had developed b/c the threads must have "popped" loose: my theory.
    (The dark barrel is b/c of bad light/shading)
    2dPQVQx.jpg
    vyt7vLb.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. I am going to sell it for $400, but I must make it right first. I could sell it for less as it, but I'd rather sell it in "perfect" working condition rather than compromise and sell it as is for $300 or whatever it would bring. It will only cost me $50 for the parts if I have to order new ones.
    2. I was going to put the Smith in with the Judge (which already sold) when I realized it had an issue.
    3. I'm going to keep my Ruger Security Six and the Judge and the Smith had to go.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You about done with my 1911?

1. I'm afraid to ask: I only have 2 now, 3 if you count the Colt Mustang's 1911 style, which I doubt of which you speak, and I know you can't be speaking of the RIA 1911-22, and I've sold my Ruger SR 1911 .45 acp, so you must be speaking of my GSG 1911-22 upgraded model that I'm so proud of.
    2. I have been so busy with other things that I've hardly given any time to my 1911-22s at all.
    3. Appreciate the remembrance of my being so proud of what most would consider so little: an upgraded .22LR :laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thanks all: really appreciate the detailed advice.

I've sold it to someone who is going to fix it themselves.
    I hope he does a quick extractor rod and it's done, but he said he has all the smith parts if not.

My problem solved, at a small loss on my part, and with so much going on right now: acceptable.
    My son won't quit texting me about repairs on his old house and what to do about this and that, and I can't even get away to the range for some fun time. :ugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Yeah dod, but tell them about the Ice Creme.......

1. Funnier yet is to tell the whole truth about how I went the wrong way on Rt. 52 for 40 minutes trying to get home. :crying:
    2. If it would have been a sunny day with the top down it would have been a fine ride! :dunno:
    3. Nothing like moving after 4 decades in 1 quadrant of the city and not having my bearings in another. :ugh:
    4. I almost missed my supper, and, "No," I didn't tell my wife about the ice cream shop! :laugh:

Top Bottom