• ...and so much more!
  • videodon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    New Albany
    Greetings all!
    I'm looking for an AK builder/smith in Southern Indiana. (New Albany area)
    I have an M85 9mm conversion SBR that is pretty sad right now.
    Having the original builder look at it is not an option.
    I've been having some feed issues and thought it was mag related but today
    I noticed the bolt carrier is cracked.
    GEfGsryl.jpg xmeWtaGl.jpg
    I'm sure this is not a "safe" situation so I'm looking for options...

1. new bolt carrier? (I don't think it's modified for the conversion, only the bolt)
    2. convert back to 5.56? (requires bbl., bolt & carrier with mag well/smith work?

I know I'm really upside down on this project now but I don't want a doorstop.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Don
    :)
    B0uzOrtl.jpg

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I am not that far south as I am close to Martinsville off SR67. I would be willing to take a look at it and give you my opinion free of charge, although to be honest I have never worked on a 9mm AK. Thats not a rifle/pistol you see very often. I would think you could replace the carrier no problem, but the real question may be why did the carrier crack in the first place.

videodon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    New Albany
    I am not that far south as I am close to Martinsville off SR67. I would be willing to take a look at it and give you my opinion free of charge, although to be honest I have never worked on a 9mm AK. Thats not a rifle/pistol you see very often. I would think you could replace the carrier no problem, but the real question may be why did the carrier crack in the first place.

Thanks for your reply.
    I've talked to some other folks and it seems the original builder had to modify the carrier
    and the weld wasn't thick enough.
    I may have someone with mad welding skills try to re-do it after smacking the crack back together..
    I was thinking about turning it back into 5.56 but that's another ~$600 investment with parts and labor.

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Either Allenm in Avon / here on INGO or Advanced Weapons Systems in Greenwood. Yeah, Indy is a drive but it is worth it to have it fixed right.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Thanks for your reply.
    I've talked to some other folks and it seems thre original builder had to modify the carrier
    and the weld wasn't thick enough.
    I may have someone with mad welding skills try to re-do it after smacking the crack back together..
    I was thinking about turning it back into 5.56 but that's another ~$600 investment with parts and labor.

As of right now, I am a better grinder than I am welder....working on changing that, lol

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    As a decent welder.....I don' think it is a matter of using enough weld, It looks to me like it is not a quality weld.....or poor weld prep........I would thing a little local preheat, a TIG machine, some nickel rod,and a post weld slow cool down and that weld should last......

Good luck and keep us posted

videodon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    New Albany
    As a decent welder.....I don' think it is a matter of using enough weld, It looks to me like it is not a quality weld.....or poor weld prep........I would thing a little local preheat, a TIG machine, some nickel rod,and a post weld slow cool down and that weld should last......

Good luck and keep us posted

Thanks for your input!
    It turns out my next door neighbor has a welder and has offered to help.
    I will pass on the "prep" and "slow cool" tips!
    I'll let you know.

videodon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    New Albany
    UPDATE:
    My neighbor was able to weld the carrier and we replaced the firing pin whigh had broken for some reason.
    I test fired yesterday and it's GTG.

On a side note, the original builder did reply within a couple of days and offered "to repair or replace any modded parts to get me running again".
    I really didn't want to sent it out of town so I didn't take him up on it,
    but the offer was there.

Top Bottom