• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I saw this online a couple weeks ago and it kept coming back to mind since I had not seen anything like it before ( I need to get out more)

Finally I broke down and bought one to test and see if it was a viable system. I don't have a problem carrying "cocked and locked" but I know several do and this seemed to be a solution to that fear.

The SFS Safety Fast System kit.

I did not do a review type unpacking and installing so here is are pics after installation and a short video.

Installation was pretty straight forward. Change hammer, thumb safety, safety detent spring and mainspring housing spring and Slide stop, although I think the slide stop is optional. Also this gun has a officer length mainspring so I did not replace that. Still seems to function ok. I will know better after a range trip.

I did not do any polishing or sear engagement work I just dropped it in and over all it feels pretty good.

The kit includes parts to install in a 80 series and still maintain the firing pin safety function too

What is unique about this is, once you chamber a round you push the hammer forward ( a different grip safety would have made this easier) and it has a firing pin block like you would find on some revolvers. The hammer goes forward and the thumb safety engages automatically. The when you draw you flip the safety off and hammer goes into fire position. That is what intrigued me.

From then on you are firing like normal in single action only. once you are done you have to push the hammer forward to re engage the safety. This seems like a draw back because with the grip safety I have on here now that means I could not engage the safety with one hand.
    I seriously do not like this.
    Unless by changing the grip safety I could do it with my thumb but it still requires new muscle memory to make sure your finger is off the trigger when pushing the hammer up.
    With the blocker in there and your finger off the trigger the hammer can not fall an hit the firing pin. So it seems abnormal to do but does appear to be very safe.

I have not test fired it yet and I plan on doing that before final judgement. But I think it is pretty cool minus the two hand reset.

Here is a short vid of it working. I look pretty clumsy resetting it and that is how I felt but with practice and right grip safety this is......you decide

[video=youtube_share;3QTcwmHRH_g]https://youtu.be/3QTcwmHRH_g[/video]

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I agree with both statements. still I was curious and it is kinda cool to watch the hammer flip back :)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm not a 1911 guy. (Yet. Its on the list.)

So, I think I'm the target market for something like that. My EDC (most days) is a SW 915 DA/SA with an external safety.

But, if I got a 1911, I'd carry it the way God and John Moses Browning intended.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Pretty neat idea and there was definitely some thought put into it. But...it sure is a lot of additional moving parts to fail.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Pretty neat idea and there was definitely some thought put into it. But...it sure is a lot of additional moving parts to fail.

There was a lot of thought put into in and it and yes extra parts are there....but thats what they said about those new computerized cars back in the 90's :)

Honestly, it is not for me either but I think it does do what it was designed for and could serve someone well

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    There was a lot of thought put into in and it and yes extra parts are there....but thats what they said about those new computerized cars back in the 90's :)

Honestly, it is not for me either but I think it does do what it was designed for and could serve someone well

Well, I work on those computerized cars every day. A lot of it is junk and when they break, bring lots of money. More gadgets than anything, just like a lot of gun parts. To each their own.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009

\

I would definitely agree Allen. If someone wanted what it offers, I would have no problem recommending it as well.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Reminds me of this gizmo for Glocks. The Striker Control Device
    https://taudevgroup.myshopify.com/

TL/DR: the slide cover plate is replaced with this. As the trigger is pulled, the plate swings back. If something (like your thumb) is on the plate, the trigger cannot travel. The idea is you can put your thumb on the back of the slide when you holster, preventing a ND.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Reminds me of this gizmo for Glocks. The Striker Control Device
    https://taudevgroup.myshopify.com/

TL/DR: the slide cover plate is replaced with this. As the trigger is pulled, the plate swings back. If something (like your thumb) is on the plate, the trigger cannot travel. The idea is you can put your thumb on the back of the slide when you holster, preventing a ND.

yep weird on the same level

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    i believe that S&S had this for a while for Browning H.P.Browning bought the rights to put on factory H.P.s
    The HP-SFS (Safe-Fast-Shooting) is a current variation on the Hi-Power Mark III with a modified firing mechanism. After the weapon is loaded, the hammer is pushed forward, which automatically activates the safety catch. When the shooter is prepared to fire, the safety is pressed down with the thumb, releasing the hammer to spring backwards into the usual, single-action position. A similar system is available for modifying Colt M1911A1s. Magazines are interchangeable with the Mark III and others.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    My thought would be if you don't like the mechanics of a 1911 get a striker fired pistol. More parts, more things to go wrong. As patience said, answer to a question no one asked. Just my .02

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]
    “Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Walt is correct. This was originally designed for the Browning HP. It was intended for L.E. that couldn't carry a SA pistol. This system appeased the lawyers for a while.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I wouldn't say this is an answer to a question nobody is asking. Although it would not be manly to admit it I know people out there that carry a 1911 on an empty chamber because cocked and locked scares them.

I see this for those people that want a 1911 but have a hard time getting comfortable with one in the chamber

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    batman_slaps_robin.jpg

Top Bottom