Is a set screw even needed in tight dove tail?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    This is on reference to my Dan Wesson 1911, which has a very tight dovetail.
    Ive got the rear sight moved to where i want it. I stripped the previous set screw, and they sent me 2 more in mail.
    There's some old thread lock in the sight, and I'm starting to strip the new set screw on its way in (I'm using the best tool i can - it seems to be a 1.5mm allen, though a star T6 bit fits well also -- ive verified that it's not 5/64)

Anyways, am i sweating it over an unnecessary item? Does it even need a set screw since it's a very tight dovetail fitting on the sight??

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Depends how tight “very tight” is. Also depends on how you treat and what you do with your pistol. If it took many whacks with a hammer/punch to get it set and it’s a pistol that doesn’t get shot 300 rounds per week you are probably ok.

It would also be fairly simple/cheap to drift it back out, chase the threads with a tap and put a fresh set screw in it. If you do this, a couple drops of green loctite in the dovetail helps keep everything in place too. Ace hardware sells a very good assortment of taps. Fastenal is another good local source.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Depends how tight “very tight” is. Also depends on how you treat and what you do with your pistol. If it took many whacks with a hammer/punch to get it set and it’s a pistol that doesn’t get shot 300 rounds per week you are probably ok.

It would also be fairly simple/cheap to drift it back out, chase the threads with a tap and put a fresh set screw in it. If you do this, a couple drops of green loctite in the dovetail helps keep everything in place too. Ace hardware sells a very good assortment of taps. Fastenal is another good local source.

I've been known to put a bit of blue loctite under a sight.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    While it may seem tight enough at room temperature materials expand and contract with temp. fluctuations. A set screw holds better than Loc-tite. Apparently even with CAD/CAM manufacturing they cannot even machine a dovetail that will hold a sight tightly. "Yeah, it's a lousy fit but we'll put some glue in there....." :rolleyes:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom