• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I am using my 1984 vintage 92F for USPSA competition.

I was thinking it would be nice to have the inside edge of the magwell beveled.

I could get crazy and hack at it with a file...but I would like it to be done nicely and professionally.

Does anyone know of someone who does this type of work in the NE / Fort Wayne area?

Would anyone have any idea how much something like that would cost?

If I need to do this myself, how could you get a consistent angle using hand tools?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've thought about using my early Taurus PT99 but my main concern is getting the mag to drop free. The early guns are designed to not drop free & I'm going to bet yours won't either.

Inserting a double stack mag with a taper near the feed lips doesn't seem that difficult for me.

Are you gripping the mag with your full hand and placing your index finger up near the bullet?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Beretta mags will drop free no problem.

I've competed with 92s with and without the opening beveled, and it definitely helps a little to have it beveled.

I can try to get a photo and some measurements from my Elite models for you...

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    ps. The rules on magwell mods recently changed. I *think* you can open as much as you want so long as it's all internal (no external flaring, etc). But make sure you download the latest rules, incl the production appendix, and verify....

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    here's a picture of the new m9a1:
    Enhanced_Images_hotspot_beveled_mag_well_M9A1.jpg

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Just curious...
    (we may have talked about this before, sorry if so...)
    Have you upgraded the locking block? I would do that ASAP if not. New ones are rock solid. '84 vintage I wouldn't trust long.

-rvb

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    My mags drop free no problem. I only use Mec-Gar mags and for me, they fly out of the gun.

Yep, new locking block. First thing I did when I got it about 10 years ago was buy a new locking block from the Beretta USA website and install.

Interestingly enough, I have seen many videos where the locking block can be removed during cleaning. Mine will not. The location of the roll pin hole must be slightly different on mine as it almost comes out, but hangs up on the plunger (which also came with the new locking block). The lug spacing seems good though.

When I was searching about the bevel, I did run across a post on the Brian Enos forum that also stated it's legal in production now as long as it's internal and simply removing material from the existing frame. Also, since I am shooting either limited or open (I want to load mags and move holsters), as I understand it, it would not matter anyway unless I added an external magwell. Then I would be limited to open only.......I think.

Now I am pondering if I want to get the magwell beveled. Part of the calculation is the hassle and cost involved. If not too expensive or to big of a deal, it might be helpful. That is why I am looking for someone locally (NE / Fort Wayne area) who might be able to do it. I would think if someone already has the machines, it's a simple job. But at this point the only person I know of who could do something like this is Allen M. I am not available to drive it there so I would have to ship it. That adds time and more money for it, so that will have to be factored in.

CALLING ALLEN M, CALLING ALLEN M, YOU HAVE A CALL ON THE COURTESY PHONE IN THE INGO BOOTH.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Some blocks fall out, some don’t. It’s just a tolerance thing. None of mine fell out.

Yea, if you are shooting limited.... do whatevs!

The difference isn’t huge. If I had to choose between a case of ammo and beveling the opening, I’d pick ammo...

-rvb

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I have used my search-fu powers and I have emailed every gunsmith listed in the NE area on INGO. Most of them are no longer in business or don't have the ability to do any machining.

I guess I will have to expand my search. Other than Allen M who I know about, is there anywhere in Indiana that can do this type of work?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Pat Rafferty, Cree, and Ford all know their way around mills and build custom uspsa guns, are shooters, Hoosiers, and good guys.
    Pat (praff) and Cree are on the forum here. I can get you Ford's contact info. Pat is probably the closest. Or maybe Ford is since Pat moved?

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I have come to the decision that I am not going to tackle this myself. I would rather not have a bevel vs messing up my frame.

no guts no glory!

There are no critical tolerances, it's not readily visible, and it's just a Beretta frame. Do it.
    Going for it is how I learned a LOT about my guns. Got really good at working on 92s and triggers, built a 1911, work on my own open gun, etc.

of course, there's also something "not quite right" about me... when faced with a similar dilemma, I tackled it myself.... I removed some weight from my open gun slide... with a drill press.... because I was too cheap to farm it out :)

hand me a file! And a beer! :)

-rvb

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I would be more than happy to take on the work for you. However, i am about 15mi south of 465 on sr67. Send me a PM if you would like to discuss.

Pat

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Pat Rafferty, Cree, and Ford all know their way around mills and build custom uspsa guns, are shooters, Hoosiers, and good guys.
    Pat (praff) and Cree are on the forum here. I can get you Ford's contact info. Pat is probably the closest. Or maybe Ford is since Pat moved?

-rvb

Awesome....thanks! I will contact all 3 to see what they say.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I would be more than happy to take on the work for you. However, i am about 15mi south of 465 on sr67. Send me a PM if you would like to discuss.

Thank you for the PM. You had mentioned trying to walk me through doing it myself. I would appreciate that.

I just found out this afternoon that I am being laid off, so we are on a family spending freeze. Doing this myself appears to be the only way it will get done.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    oh man. sorry to hear that. that sucks. what field are you in so I can keep an ear out?
    hope you still make it this Sunday.
    -rvb

Thanks! I am in the insurance field. Currently in Crop / Ag insurance, but I have done it all over 18 years. At least both of my bosses are giving me a letter of recommendation. Having 2 letters might set me apart from all the others.

Probably won't be out Sunday. I will have to wait and see what happens on the employment front before I spend anything else. Food and gas only at this point. Hopefully whatever schedule I have with a new employer works for competition. It most likely will since almost all insurance I know of is shut down on Sundays. Thursday practice, that could be a different matter.

In the meantime, dryfire, dryfire, dryfire. I am also looking forward to the insight Praff has on beveling my magwell. If I take my time, I think I can do it with some guidance. I have done other things by watching tutorials on YouTube (back when they allowed it) over and over again.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom