Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

Beveling Beretta 92F Magwell

I am using my 1984 vintage 92F for USPSA competition.

I was thinking it would be nice to have the inside edge of the magwell beveled.

I could get crazy and hack at it with a file...but I would like it to be done nicely and professionally.

Does anyone know of someone who does this type of work in the NE / Fort Wayne area?

Would anyone have any idea how much something like that would cost?

If I need to do this myself, how could you get a consistent angle using hand tools?
    "May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal

Hop

User Info Menu

I've thought about using my early Taurus PT99 but my main concern is getting the mag to drop free. The early guns are designed to not drop free & I'm going to bet yours won't either.

Inserting a double stack mag with a taper near the feed lips doesn't seem that difficult for me.

Are you gripping the mag with your full hand and placing your index finger up near the bullet?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

rvb

User Info Menu

Beretta mags will drop free no problem.

I've competed with 92s with and without the opening beveled, and it definitely helps a little to have it beveled.

I can try to get a photo and some measurements from my Elite models for you...

-rvb
    Ryan V. B. TY56060 Come shoot USPSA w Ft Wayne Area Practical Shooters: www.facebook.com/fwuspsa

rvb

User Info Menu

ps. The rules on magwell mods recently changed. I *think* you can open as much as you want so long as it's all internal (no external flaring, etc). But make sure you download the latest rules, incl the production appendix, and verify....

-rvb
    Ryan V. B. TY56060 Come shoot USPSA w Ft Wayne Area Practical Shooters: www.facebook.com/fwuspsa

rvb

User Info Menu

here's a picture of the new m9a1:

rvb

User Info Menu

Just curious...
    (we may have talked about this before, sorry if so...)
    Have you upgraded the locking block? I would do that ASAP if not. New ones are rock solid. '84 vintage I wouldn't trust long.

-rvb

User Info Menu

My mags drop free no problem. I only use Mec-Gar mags and for me, they fly out of the gun.

Yep, new locking block. First thing I did when I got it about 10 years ago was buy a new locking block from the Beretta USA website and install.

Interestingly enough, I have seen many videos where the locking block can be removed during cleaning. Mine will not. The location of the roll pin hole must be slightly different on mine as it almost comes out, but hangs up on the plunger (which also came with the new locking block). The lug spacing seems good though.

When I was searching about the bevel, I did run across a post on the Brian Enos forum that also stated it's legal in production now as long as it's internal and simply removing material from the existing frame. Also, since I am shooting either limited or open (I want to load mags and move holsters), as I understand it, it would not matter anyway unless I added an external magwell. Then I would be limited to open only.......I think.

Now I am pondering if I want to get the magwell beveled. Part of the calculation is the hassle and cost involved. If not too expensive or to big of a deal, it might be helpful. That is why I am looking for someone locally (NE / Fort Wayne area) who might be able to do it. I would think if someone already has the machines, it's a simple job. But at this point the only person I know of who could do something like this is Allen M. I am not available to drive it there so I would have to ship it. That adds time and more money for it, so that will have to be factored in.

CALLING ALLEN M, CALLING ALLEN M, YOU HAVE A CALL ON THE COURTESY PHONE IN THE INGO BOOTH.
    "May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal

rvb

User Info Menu

Some blocks fall out, some donít. Itís just a tolerance thing. None of mine fell out.

Yea, if you are shooting limited.... do whatevs!

The difference isnít huge. If I had to choose between a case of ammo and beveling the opening, Iíd pick ammo...

-rvb

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

IF you decide to do it yourself, scribe lines to file/dremel/sand to, to keep a consistent angle.

User Info Menu

I have used my search-fu powers and I have emailed every gunsmith listed in the NE area on INGO. Most of them are no longer in business or don't have the ability to do any machining.

I guess I will have to expand my search. Other than Allen M who I know about, is there anywhere in Indiana that can do this type of work?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast