• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    Howdy all,

Have a colt mustang pocketlite 94 producton IIRC correctly that has developed a crack on the frame rail. ITs not all the way through and if you look at one of the pics it almost looks like there were some bubbles in the casting/forging around where the crack developed. Colt customer service is not covering it because its been over a year since it was manufactured. Told me it would probably be cheaper and easier to have it repaired locally.

Anyone know of any smiths in the central Indiana who can repair it (aluminum alloy frame), or even if its worth repairin
    attachment.php
    attachment.php
    g? Has some sentimental value.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I would not try to "repair" it - though it could be done. The fact that Colt will not replace it because it's over a year old speaks volumes about the company. I worked on Colt 1911s for years but I have lost all respect for the name. Over the years they have cranked out some really horrible guns and treated their customers poorly.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would not try to "repair" it - though it could be done. The fact that Colt will not replace it because it's over a year old speaks volumes about the company. I worked on Colt 1911s for years but I have lost all respect for the name. Over the years they have cranked out some really horrible guns and treated their customers poorly.

Agreed. Putting some serious turds in the pool.

This could be repaired but you need a highly skilled welder to do it. If the casting is flawed it could just fall away when the torch is applied and that would ruin it.
    Even if it was successful the machine work needed on top of the welding would be critical as well. I know a very qualified machinist and a welder but odds are the welder would say no due to the crap materials used in the frame. .

Park it for sentimental value. Just clean it up/lube it up and set it aside. JMHO.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    This may seem like a hokey repair but I’ve seen it done to cracks in 1911 frames from way back. You could just remove the affected area. Mill out the spot where the crack is starting, leave a u shaped, rounded edge and the odds are it won’t come back. Like I said, I’ve seen it fine to older 1911 frames that fired many rounds after the repair was done. I’m not a gunsmith do take that for what it’s worth!

Top Bottom