AR barrel unscrewed from barrel extension?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    This is not a build of mine a friend had sent me a txt asking me if I've seen/ever had this issue working on a AR... This is something if never experienced in building as many as I have...

Supposedly he was trying to take the original flash hider off and the barrel unscrewed from the extension.. Have any of you all seen this before?

I know the locating pin is supposed to mash the threads so that this situation doesn't happen.. Just thought I'd see if anyone else has run into this issue before.

wvEyc8v.jpg

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Yes I have.

Several years ago. I had a Loki barrel (they had gone out of business now) that unscrewed from the barrel extension.

After examination by A.J. Brown, an expert rifle smith, it was determined that the barrel had never been properly torqued at the factory. It shouldn't have come apart.

It was deemed un-repairable. Properly torquing the two parts would leave the gas port in the wrong position.

It would be cheaper to buy a new barrel. Which is what I did. (After installing a BCM barrel in the rifle, I had a great shooting AR platform rifle!)

Best of luck to you.

LMW

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Seen it before too on a couple different barrels. Definite call to the manufacturer is in order

Don't try and reassemble it and shoot it.

And whoever installed that flash hider.......it's on wrong. Ports should face out horizontally

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    With barrels as cheap as they are now, no point trying to save it. Your buddy should just chuck it and buy a new one.

Out of curiosity, what brand is the barrel in question?

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    If I remember right he bought a cheaper one from a small vendor at the knob creek shoot. We came to that conclusion too that everything would be out of time. I'm assuming it would also affect head spacing?? The gas block isn't installed all the way that's why the flash hider looks out of time.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    If it were my own, I would fix it by welding up gas port and re drilling once the extension was re-installed. But....as others have stated, barrels are just too cheap these days to justify repairing for a customer.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    If it were my own, I would fix it by welding up gas port and re drilling once the extension was re-installed. But....as others have stated, barrels are just too cheap these days to justify repairing for a customer.

I would be leery of welding on the barrel. It would be similar to welding ductile iron. It would change the tempering and make it very brittle in that area and prone to cracking. If it was retempered after the weld it would be good to go.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would be leery of welding on the barrel. It would be similar to welding ductile iron. It would change the tempering and make it very brittle in that area and prone to cracking. If it was retempered after the weld it would be good to go.

This (as Praff said) could be repaired. The weld would not be that damaging to the tempering unless you really laid on the peddle. But as stated, barrels are just not that expensive and yes, tell him to get a good one this time. Regardless of what folks think you do get exactly what you paid for. Most times.

Glad he caught this.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    This (as Praff said) could be repaired. The weld would not be that damaging to the tempering unless you really laid on the peddle. But as stated, barrels are just not that expensive and yes, tell him to get a good one this time. Regardless of what folks think you do get exactly what you paid for. Most times.

Glad he caught this.

The way I weld probably so. Not very good at it nor do it enough. I have, I can, but it ain’t pretty lol. One of those cheap knob creek buys, pretty sure that’s where he got it...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The way I weld probably so. Not very good at it nor do it enough. I have, I can, but it ain’t pretty lol. One of those cheap knob creek buys, pretty sure that’s where he got it...

I know fellas that can weld air to water if the need arises. They are freaking amazing. My skills have fallen off from lack of use but I can still do the work.
    A couple of good tacks around the barrel would more than do the job but the gas ports and such would have to be clocked.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    I know fellas that can weld air to water if the need arises. They are freaking amazing. My skills have fallen off from lack of use but I can still do the work.
    A couple of good tacks around the barrel would more than do the job but the gas ports and such would have to be clocked.

i know I couple like that. One does a bunch a micro Tig for the mold shop he’s at.

iPqGSIa.jpg

One of the nickels he played with. he’ll send me all kinds of goofy stuff he’s welded on from time to time.

Would like to get into it more just just don’t have the funds or time for it at the moment.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    i know I couple like that. One does a bunch a micro Tig for the mold shop he’s at.

iPqGSIa.jpg

One of the nickels he played with. he’ll send me all kinds of goofy stuff he’s welded on from time to time.

Would like to get into it more just just don’t have the funds or time for it at the moment.

That is what I am talking about. Skills. But that takes a lot of time under a hood and on the pedal. A lot of time.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009

One really good way to do this without adding very much heat at all is to tap the gas port, put in a set screw, then weld over top of set screw. That way you arent spending a bunch if time filling in a hole with filler rod.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    That is what I am talking about. Skills. But that takes a lot of time under a hood and on the pedal. A lot of time.

pretty wild what he can do. He’ll spend 10 hour shifts under the microscope. I don’t how he does it, I spend and hour looking through a microscope I get sick haha

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom