• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    Couple months ago some friends and I put together a FAL group build and everyone was on board. There was 8 of us then one by one they dropped out. Now thereÂ’s only 2 of us left. We were all gonna split the costs of tools and 922r stuff to keep them down but now that thereÂ’s only 2 of us itÂ’s becoming cost prohibitive and IÂ’m afraid we wonÂ’t have our rifles ready for the Gunnit Rust competition which is due September 23.

We are both building Imbel kits with the original barrel and we are using DSA Receivers. My receiver should ship out Monday.

So my question is. Does anybody rent out the other FAL specific tools out? I already have a buttstock tool on the way. ItÂ’s just everything else we need. Well minus a vice provided mine holds up.

Better yet does anybody have the tools and are willing to help us atleast pull the receiver stub off, install the new receiver, and headspace? ThatÂ’d be amazing.

Id be willing to buy used too. I havent joined FALfiles yet. ThatÂ’s my next step if nobody can help here. Trying to stay more local first. ThereÂ’s no tools listed anyways.

Sagamore - One

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Near Bippus
    Hi Guy
    I just stumbled across this thread and would like to suggest; If you already have the DSA receiver, send it back to them along with the barrel you plan to use. For a small fee they will install your barrel and headspace it correctly. They have all the tools gages and parts. If you do NOT already have the receiver.... give them a call and ask to have them install your barrel before they ship it out to your dealer. I have used their service and it is quite affordable. Suggest you specify "minimum" headspace if you are doing target work. If you proceed to build it yourself be aware that it takes a lot of torque to properly index an Fal barrel even if all the parts are in "spec". A cheap vise is NOT recommended. Removal of old barrel stub can be accomplished with a Dremel with a cutoff wheel followed by barrel vise and receiver wrench or vise. Do not attempt to torque a barrel onto a receiver without a proper receiver wrench.
    Let me know if I can be of further help.

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Good luck with that DSA receiver. They are not what they used to be, lots of problems. Join the files and read Gunplumbers reviews. Also, lots of tools available.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    Hi Guy
    I just stumbled across this thread and would like to suggest; If you already have the DSA receiver, send it back to them along with the barrel you plan to use. For a small fee they will install your barrel and headspace it correctly. They have all the tools gages and parts. If you do NOT already have the receiver.... give them a call and ask to have them install your barrel before they ship it out to your dealer. I have used their service and it is quite affordable. Suggest you specify "minimum" headspace if you are doing target work. If you proceed to build it yourself be aware that it takes a lot of torque to properly index an Fal barrel even if all the parts are in "spec". A cheap vise is NOT recommended. Removal of old barrel stub can be accomplished with a Dremel with a cutoff wheel followed by barrel vise and receiver wrench or vise. Do not attempt to torque a barrel onto a receiver without a proper receiver wrench.
    Let me know if I can be of further help.

I'm gonna shoot DSA an email and see how much. I could only find pricing for the whole upper receiver build. I already have my receiver.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    Good luck with that DSA receiver. They are not what they used to be, lots of problems. Join the files and read Gunplumbers reviews. Also, lots of tools available.

Sadly it's what I already have. Only other receivers I found were CAI, Coonan, and Enterprise. All of them were a crapshoot. I think I got a good one so far though. I was test fitting parts and it all went together smoothly except maybe the dust cover but that could just be the cover.

Top Bottom