• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I was gifted a new mossberg 500 combo setup with the 18" vent rib barrel, and a slug barrel approximately 5 years ago from my stepdad to go dove/rabbit hunting with him.

Fast-forward to now, and I've had probably 15 light primer strikes. Previously I blasted the bolt with brake cleaner and blew air through the firing pin channel. Had a couple while dove hunting, and had 2 during rabbit season last year during rabbit season which I attributed it to the cold, or an old box of shells. Took it down to the bolt, and cleaned with brake cleaner and air.

Last weekend, I went out to the VFW shoot at Roush, and was shooting a couple boxes of clays and had 3 LP strikes. All of these rounds fired on the second attempt.

I finally figured I had a bunch of **** in the firing pin channel, and I took the bolt out, as well as the firing pin...the catch is that the FP channel was clean.

I know that inside the bolt is the FP, Bolt spring, and a washer that is all held in place by the FP retaining pin. Am I looking at any sort of potential problems removing the washer to see if the slightly decreased pressure on the spring will allow the FP to strike the primer hard enough? I should also mention that for all of these LP strikes the shells were federal shells. Any ideas or tips? I don't think that there will be an issue with bolt lockup or anything, I just am not looking to do anything potentially dangerous either.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I was gifted a new mossberg 500 combo setup with the 18" vent rib barrel, and a slug barrel approximately 5 years ago from my stepdad to go dove/rabbit hunting with him.

Fast-forward to now, and I've had probably 15 light primer strikes. Previously I blasted the bolt with brake cleaner and blew air through the firing pin channel. Had a couple while dove hunting, and had 2 during rabbit season last year during rabbit season which I attributed it to the cold, or an old box of shells. Took it down to the bolt, and cleaned with brake cleaner and air.

Last weekend, I went out to the VFW shoot at Roush, and was shooting a couple boxes of clays and had 3 LP strikes. All of these rounds fired on the second attempt.

I finally figured I had a bunch of **** in the firing pin channel, and I took the bolt out, as well as the firing pin...the catch is that the FP channel was clean.

I know that inside the bolt is the FP, Bolt spring, and a washer that is all held in place by the FP retaining pin. Am I looking at any sort of potential problems removing the washer to see if the slightly decreased pressure on the spring will allow the FP to strike the primer hard enough? I should also mention that for all of these LP strikes the shells were federal shells. Any ideas or tips? I don't think that there will be an issue with bolt lockup or anything, I just am not looking to do anything potentially dangerous either.

This isn't an uncommon problem with these. Send it to Mossberg or have a gunsmith take it down. They're a major P.I.A. to work on.
    Cleaning MIGHT take care of it but I'm guessing not.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Can you YouTube how to take down the bolt itself?

FP may be broken. May also be a main spring needing replaced. Not enough force behind it to slam the FP forward.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Can you YouTube how to take down the bolt itself?

FP may be broken. May also be a main spring needing replaced. Not enough force behind it to slam the FP forward.

Yep, that's where I learned how to get the firing pin out, I left the breech pin in the bolt. After doing a bit more research, I could have a weak hammer spring as indicated earlier. Or a possibly a headspace issue, though I have no side to side play on the bolt with an empty chamber.

Top Bottom