• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Got a good deal on this from GB as it was non functional and am just finishing up. Had to scrounge parts and make some using Brownells steel stock and a file. Some internet videos on heat treating helped me along as well. Loaded it up and ran 5 shots through it this afternoon without a burp so I'm feeling pretty good about it.

The Colt lightning was a competing rifle with Winchester like the model 1892 pictured with the Colt, also in 32-20. Made from 1884 to 1904 it was popular, but production ended after a meeting between Colt and Winchester supposedly where Winchester threatened to get into the handgun business unless Colt vacated the rifle business. Made in large, medium, and small frame it was chambered for many calibers. Like other guns of the day it had that wonderful slam fire feature where you hold down the trigger and just pump the action to fire it fast.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I had a Colt Lightning pistol in .38 Colt that was from Camp Verde, AZ. I foolishly sold it so I could buy a Windows 95 computer so I could write screenplays back in 1995/1996. One of the many dumb moves I made over the years. I wrote several screenplays and sold none.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The 1877 Lightning hand gun is reliable, but delicate. High maintenance I think the correct description would be. The Lightning rifles were solid competitors with Winchester, the only quirks are loading when the bolt is open and the need for a solid manipulation of the action. Slow and easy pumping of the slide caused stoppages. This is true of both the originals and modern clones.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Thanks Leadeye

I had a chance to purchase a modern clone of the lighting rifle in .45 long Colt.
    Whittaker’s had a demo for $350. I read several bad reviews of
    malfunctions. In retrospect I should have asked you !

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Thanks Leadeye

I had a chance to purchase a modern clone of the lighting rifle in .45 long Colt.
    Whittaker’s had a demo for $350. I read several bad reviews of
    malfunctions. In retrospect I should have asked you !

A lot depends on the manufacturer with the clone stuff, and the caliber. I have a Pedersoli 44-40 that never burps, but I've seen Ubertis and Taurus guns that were jam-o-matics. The SASS guys say that bottle neck cartridges like the ones the Colts were originally chambered for perform better than straight wall regardless of manufacturer. What was the Whittaker gun?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The AWA version is a close copy, the Pedersoli is less so, but in my opinion better tricked out.

Top Bottom