• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I make my own. I cut pieces from a rubber bungee cord, glue on with Superglue. Profile to fit on a bench grinder wheel, using the side of the wheel. Light pressure on wheel to rubber pad. Works for me.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    For many years Bill Wilson glued them on with Barge Cement. I would much rather have them attached with screws. Armand Swenson used to glue thick leather pads on his customer's magazines (he also made shok buffs from leather - they didn't last very long). Unless your gun has an extended magwell they are really not necessary for normal use but if you plan on dropping them repeatedly on concrete or gravel they are a good idea. I think I still have some old magazines with pads made of thick leather attached with contact cement. I would only use a pad on a race gun but not on a carry gun. All of my 1911s no longer have extended magwells because I don't shoot competitively any more. Be aware that drilling and tapping holes for screws can be a major hassle on most magazines with welded steel bottoms because the steel becomes harder than hell from the welding. Drilling the holes will eat cheap drill bits like candy. Use carbide bits and a high quality tap. And the "self tapping" screws that most of the pad manufacturers provide are junk and will usually strip out in hard steel. For best results tap the holes yourself.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom