• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have finally gotten around to 3d printing a 10-22 receiver. Something I have wanted to do for a long long time.

I put 30 rounds threw it and there is no signs of wear. It shot perfectly. I did not have anyone to video the test fire. I will take one soon and post it.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Way kewl , my brother!

How did you get your 3d model to print? Did you work up a drawing in autocad (or similar) and tool path it.....or so ethi g you grabbed off the net?

Now that your getting the hang of this 3d print thing, you need a 5 axis powdered metal SLA

Does tour printer print using investment casting wax?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Very cool. Out of simple curiosity how long did it take and what kind of printer?

The printer is a homebrew. But close in design to a Makerfarm Pegasus. It was printed at .2 layer height 75% infill with 50% support. I have a 3d printing thread in the break room. If you are in to printing check it out.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Way kewl , my brother!

How did you get your 3d model to print? Did you work up a drawing in autocad (or similar) and tool path it.....or so ethi g you grabbed off the net?

Now that your getting the hang of this 3d print thing, you need a 5 axis powdered metal SLA

Does tour printer print using investment casting wax?

Thanks! It is a STL file that has been floating round the net for quite a while. It is easy to fine.

I used Simplify3d to slice it.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Not sure what BATFE thinks, but I think it's cool!

If I ever have time to take up another hobby, 3D printing is at the top of the list...

It's 100% legal for me to print and fire one in the state of Indiana. If I am making it for me and I am not selling them I am fine. I am not worried. I have had the files for a long time. Longer then I have had my printer. I am GTG legally (with the current laws)

If you want a fairly safe gun, print a 10-22 receiver. And then only if you have a properly set up printer that will print quality prints. If there are any doubts then don't do it.

And FYI it is cheaper to buy a assembled 10-22 unless you can score some used parts really reasonable. I made this out of used parts from upgrades and a few Ebay parts.

I have no doubt that this receiver will not last. There are some out there that guys have shot 500 plus times. I am keeping a good eye on this thing. I will destroy it at the first signs of wear and print another. I printed several that I have broken just to see how much it takes to break it. I was amazed to see how solid it is. I have several extras that I printed that are off dimensionally. I will post some destruction videos of me breaking them so you guys can see how solid they really can be.

Thanks for the positive comments! I feel really good when I get positive commonts out of the true masters (AllenM and Praff)

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Put that in one if those pink laminated Boyd's stocks. I'd look great!

Yes it would!

Did you have to finish it with tools or was it good to go off the printer?

I was able to work the barrel in with out work. I rotated it in by hand but it was snug and the extractor groove cut it in. It is hard to pull out. I ran a drill threw the bolt stop and FCG holes. I was able to do that by hand. I hand tapped the action and V block screws. I did have to massage the receiver a tiny bit to get it to fit the poly stock. It wasn't that much. I am happy with the way it fit and the way the receiver went together.

I just took it apart again to look it over. I have about 50 rounds threw it total now. It still looks good. I see no signs of bolt rub or stretching of holes. I loosed the Barrel V block and the barrel is still really tight. I thought that fit might loosen after awhile. So far it is really good. I still have no lube on the bolt, just on the guide rod. I am amazed I haven't worn the threads out of the receiver.

I am going to print one in silver PLA. Maybe tomorrow. I did find a oops in the file I had to change. I had to square one corner in the front where the bolt face was touching. If you print one I can point it out for you if you are using the same file I am. It seems to be common on this stl file. Some guys drill an hole. But it was easy to change the model.

I am having a ball with this thing. Well, both things really. The printer and the 10-22. I have ran around 35-40 rolls of media threw my printer. in the last year and a half.

It was asked earlier how look it took to print, it was about 15 hours.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Misunderstanding, I should have said I don't care what BATFE thinks, I think it's cool.

If that took 15 hours to print, a stock would take a week!

I have the CNC version to carve one out of aluminum somewhere, I haven't seen one in a couple years, but it's was 'Cool' for about a minute.
    We did the receivers out of forged aluminum billet, with optics rail built in, a 'Thing' about 7-8 years back for the rimfire bench guys.
    Actually more trouble than it was worth, but it was something different...

Top Bottom