• ...and so much more!
  • walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    FOUND ONE need a ejector rod for a N frame S&W with Right hand threads

As stated need a ejector rod for a N frame S&W with Right hand threads. help, help.
    tried usual sources no luck, posted on the S&W forum also

Last edited:

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    At the -1 on most N frames indicates the change to left hand threads . I have a27 no dash that needs a ejector rod w/right hand threads
    made some time between 1957-1960.IT is blue.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    The change over to left hand threads was around 1960 but some models were a year or two later. Have to watch it as some older guns have had the extractor star replaced at some point and it can have left hand threads even if it was born with right hand threads. ;)
    Stainless first showed up in the early 60's so there shouldn't be any right hand thread SS rods but you never know.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    So this thread got me thinking about replacing the ejector rod on my 29-2. (N413XXX ~1977 serial number) The rod works well but it looks like someone tightened it with a pair of Vise-Grips on the knurled end.
    The rod is on pretty tight at this point and I want to replace it.

Does anyone know the thread direction for the 29-2? Is it the standard counter-clockwise to remove?

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    your 29-2 according to the standard catalog ,has left hand threads ,if it is blue GunParts has factory new ones.if you change the rod place 3 MT cartridges on the cyl to keep the star from shearing the locating pins .I use a wood spring clothes pin slipped over the knurled end and clamp ,the clothespin & rod in a vise to keep it from getting trashed
    good luck
    TO LET OTHERS KNOW I FOUND A RIGHT HAND EJECTOR ROD it is on the way

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    So this thread got me thinking about replacing the ejector rod on my 29-2. (N413XXX ~1977 serial number) The rod works well but it looks like someone tightened it with a pair of Vise-Grips on the knurled end.
    The rod is on pretty tight at this point and I want to replace it.

Does anyone know the thread direction for the 29-2? Is it the standard counter-clockwise to remove?

As Walt said it is left hand thread and Midway and Brownell's sell them.

The knurled end is not for grabbing with pliers.
    If you don't have a ejector rod tool the easy way to unscrew the ejector rod is put it in a drill press chuck and unscrew it. No drill press then a pair of vice grips with some leather wrapped around the ejector rod works. If using vice grips take the yoke and put it in the cylinder like if fits when in the gun and wrap the leather around the ejector rod right at the end of the yoke(as far away from the knurled end as possible) and loosen. As Walt said a couple empty cases in the cylinder are a good idea.

MOST IMPORTANT THING IS WHEN REASSEMBLING DO NOT USE LOCTITE ON THE EJECTOR ROD THREADS.

Top Bottom