• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    Looking for opinions/ideas on a repair on an inexpensive shotgun, a Baikal Spartan by Remington SPR310 O/U. Yes, it is a cheap gun and I don't want to put too much in it. I probably have several thousand rounds through it and when I was shooting clays a lot managed hi 80's low 90's in sporting clays, and have some 25 for 25 at the wobble trap at Back 40. Anyway guess I am just saying for a cheap gun, I am happy with it... until it broke LOL

So last time shooting it, I heard and or felt a rattle, and discovered that the barrels/trim piece between the barrels has separated. you can pull the end of the barrels apart from each other. I spoke with one gunsmith that wasn't interested in working on it, and didn't know anyone that would. I did think about contacting Remington, but have not yet done so.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/18688

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Looking for opinions/ideas on a repair on an inexpensive shotgun, a Baikal Spartan by Remington SPR310 O/U. Yes, it is a cheap gun and I don't want to put too much in it. I probably have several thousand rounds through it and when I was shooting clays a lot managed hi 80's low 90's in sporting clays, and have some 25 for 25 at the wobble trap at Back 40. Anyway guess I am just saying for a cheap gun, I am happy with it... until it broke LOL

So last time shooting it, I heard and or felt a rattle, and discovered that the barrels/trim piece between the barrels has separated. you can pull the end of the barrels apart from each other. I spoke with one gunsmith that wasn't interested in working on it, and didn't know anyone that would. I did think about contacting Remington, but have not yet done so.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/18688

Call or email the service dept, explain your issue and maybe, just maybe they'll help you out and replace it OR sell you another barrel assy reasonably affordable.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yea, good Idea, I may get lucky... worth asking

Worst they can do is say no. And just because its not high dollar doesnt mean they wont take care of you. PSA just fixed an entry level AR-9 rifle that was modified by a local smith to fix a feed issue. His fix didnt help (we were both positive it would have worked) but PSA didnt care. They fixed it anyway. They could have easily squawked that the 'smith voided the warranty but they took care of it. (or at least they tried. Just got it back and havent been to the range yet.)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and just because its inexpensive, doesnt mean it doesnt have value. Your post indicates it is worth more to you than retail at this point because of how well you shoot with it. Make sure the smiths you talk to know that. Yes, you might be able to buy a new entry level O/U for the repair price, but not one you shoot as well.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I don't know what the warranty was.....Remington selling Baikal's rebranded under the "Spartan" name.
    Worth a try to call em.
    Would not get my hopes up.
    Guess is soldered. Now was it low or high temp?

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    This isn’t something I would be interested in tackling, but a call to indiana gun club should get you a referral.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    My Remington 3200 barrels are soft soldered. A little flux and a gentle reheat just might take care of the problem.

THIS :yesway:

Decades ago when the norm was to repair broken televisions, I worked in a shop full of old crappy repaired televisions languishing forever for the owner's to maybe retrieve in spite of a business policy to charge an upfront repair estimation fee. Many if not most of those sets were not worthy of the professional repair cost, yet the owners were unwilling to recognize that when bringing the sets in; but believe me when I say they sure did when the final bill came due. I am not saying your shotgun is either old nor crappy, but rather some items are meant to be DIY repaired or not at all and it sounds like the repair shop(s) unwilling to touch this recognizes that.

Let me add, here lately there doesn't seem to anything SuperGlue Professional and I can't fix....

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Even better. One of these around the barrels!

V00699.jpg

Bob2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    Wow, email notifications didn't happen, just discovered all of these awesome ideas LOL

Emailed Remington, the deferred me to EAA. Called them and there are no parts anymore, but I can send in for a quote on a solder job. Think I won't waste the time/money shipping to possible find out its a no go. If I can't find a local (BTW, I am in Warsaw, but my son is in Noblesville so I can work out an Indy shop if need be. Or I think maybe just go madmax on it with hoseclamp etc LOL

Top Bottom