0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS

HK Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    No, you would need the parts kit, a barrel and a receiver. Then you would send it to smith that could bend the flat (receiver) and assemble the rest of the gun (figure $1300 to assemble the flat / gun). You wouldn't need the trigger group / lower from SG as it is included in the HKparts parts kit.

Your money but I'd look for an original HK91 or just buy a PTR (which are fine guns).

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Even if you send it to an 07/02 like myself, it really is cost prohibitive. Like others have mentioned, its much cheaper to buy an existing rifle. A cetme, while not an HK, gets u a very similar style rifle for 700ish bucks.

I have toyed around with building a post sample and even for me providing free labor to myself, its almost cheaper to buy a cetme.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Unless you want some interesting variant built or cloned (like Saudi Tan furniture G3) id look at PTR i had a 53K built on Turk Parts and its ran around $1300 Labor plus i supplied all parts to including a 100% special weapons receiver. The CETME C by century is another soild choice i believe the newest models are being built and serviced by PTR and cost in the low $600's PTR91 run around the $900 mark and have some cool pistol options if you like the HK51 and HK53's

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    How I got my C308 (Century CETME-G3):
    attachment.php

What I've done to her:
    attachment.php

Last edited:

mrrogers91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I'm still trying to understand the legalities of a full auto rifle tbh. I thought the reciever is what is actually considered the firearm. so i was wondering what i would need to do to make a functioning firearm out of the lower i listed above

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I'm still trying to understand the legalities of a full auto rifle tbh. I thought the reciever is what is actually considered the firearm. so i was wondering what i would need to do to make a functioning firearm out of the lower i listed above

The receiver is the firearm. The lower, in HK guns, is separate from the receiver. You could buy a receiver flat and have it finished on that kit (or possibly buy a completed receiver, if you can find one). The lower will have to be converted to semi-auto first and then clipped and pinned, because the ATF approved configuration for the G3 type rifle is to have one of the push pin holes filled in/removed and replaced with a shelf, which the lower then rests on (and then is held in place by the rear pin).

Building HK type guns isn't easy. It's a pretty involved process and there is a lot of welding and fitting, with the barrels being pressed into the receiver trunnion. It's like building an AK, but more complex.

There are several builders out there who can do all this for you, but honestly, I'm not sure it's going to be worth the cost to pay someone to build you one on a Greek G3 parts kit on a PTR receiver (or LSC flat). You really are better off just buying a PTR complete rifle in the configuration you want and then changing the furniture to whatever style you'd like (if you don't like what it comes with).

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Also, the parts kit you reference already comes with a lower, so you wouldn't need another one.

For reference:

Atlantic is selling the PTR GI with green furniture for $929:

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/ptr-gi-308-rifle-w-o-rail

For what you want to do, at minimum, you'd need (and we'll assume all parts of the kit can be used and the trunnion wasn't trashed during demil, which it sometimes is):

Parts Kit - $374.95:
    https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Greek-EBO-G3-91-PTR-Tungsten-Filled-Carrier-Parts-Kit-126p17695.htm

Barrel - $198.85:
    https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-G3-91-PTR-91-GI-18-Barrel-5-8-X-24-120p18435.htm

Receiver - $279.00
    https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/ptr-nnr-308-receiver

So, just in parts, you are already at $852.80 (plus shipping and any 922R compliance parts you need to put into the gun, which can end up costing a couple hundred more). Then add in all the labor to put the gun together and then finish it, you are going to be hundreds over the price of a finished PTR rifle.

HK Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    OP, if you are looking a way around the $200 fed tax and the $33K (or so) for a sear for a full auto HK it isn't going to happen. No new transferable machine guns have been made since 1986. Get the checkbook out if you want to play full auto.....

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    I do understand the joys of a roll your own firearm but a roller lock build like the HK/Cetme are alittle more complex than others and can require some pricey tooling "some corners can be bent" but it still requires a talented and skilled builder. I bought all the tooling and did mountains of research about these builds and i still thought it was best to send my first HK kit off to be built. After building one of my Cetme L's i feel little more confident in my abilities so i might try my hand on my G3 kit before too long. I also have a Vector arms v53 (HK53 Clone) that needs a barrel and cocking tube work (but that one might be out hands sense the barrel must be pressed through the receiver and normally that requires a special tool).... I dont want to scare you away from roller lock world they are alot of fun but maybe not the place for a novice builder

if you do decided to go this route with a builder be prepared for a hefty price tag! They are very involved builds
    If you decide to try and build one yourself understand if a long road and learn as much as you can

mrrogers91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Thanks for all of the info guys!! I think I'm going to hold off on the hk build for awhile. I don't have anywhere near enough skill to build one and did not realize how intense this project will be. But don't give up hope! I will come back to this idea and give it a whirl in a few years.

Top Bottom