• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Would anyone be able to help me remove a quad rail from my rifle? I'm down in Evansville but I'd be willing to drive an hour to you for some help! (Or if anyone knows anyone in the Northern Kentucky are who could help me?)

I have an old YHM quad rail that I am trying to remove to put on a new MLOK rail. I am pretty sure that I was put on with red-loctite about 6-7 years ago. The 2 set screws were put on with loctite, and I was able to get them off by heating them with my propane torch. But, no matter how much I heat the nut I can't seem to get the rail to loosen.

If I'm looking down the sights, I'm turning to the left (which should be loosening from what I understand). I don't know what to do next, so if anyone could help that would be ideal.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Looking down the barrel from the muzzle to the receiver.... Turn the nut counter clockwise.
    The retaining nuts can be a real pain to get off depending how long they've been on.

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Looking down the barrel from the muzzle to the receiver.... Turn the nut counter clockwise.
    The retaining nuts can be a real pain to get off depending how long they've been on.

It was my understanding that from muzzle to receiver you should turn clockwise (to the "right") and that if looking from receiver to muzzle it would be counterclockwise/"left"

Ugh.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    It was my understanding that from muzzle to receiver you should turn clockwise (to the "right") and that if looking from receiver to muzzle it would be counterclockwise/"left"

Ugh.

lolz. your understanding was incorrect. try the correct way and you can probably get it off yourself.

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    lolz. your understanding was incorrect. try the correct way and you can probably get it off yourself.

So, I tried to turn it counter-clockwise. After a little heat it kind of "clicked" back to straightly aligned, so the 2-3mm it had moved clockwise were now aligned with the top of the reciever.

I tried to apply more heat and continue to turn counter-clockwise but I got nowhere. I think I may just end up selling the upper and getting something else.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    So, I tried to turn it counter-clockwise. After a little heat it kind of "clicked" back to straightly aligned, so the 2-3mm it had moved clockwise were now aligned with the top of the receiver.

I tried to apply more heat and continue to turn counter-clockwise but I got nowhere. I think I may just end up selling the upper and getting something else.

Hate to hear you're having trouble with it. Red Loc-Tite can be troublesome and tough to deal with.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Red loctite requires 500F to melt it for removal.

Aluminum is a great heat sink and will require the entire upper receiver to be close to 500F along with the nut and back end of the barrel.

For future reference, a thread locker of any type should not be used on a barrel nut. This is a job for an appropriate grease and proper torque.

Almost forgot...righty tighty lefty loosey

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    You are "Out of your Comfort Zone"

"If I'm looking down the sights, I'm turning to the left (which should be loosening from what I understand). I don't know what to do next, so if anyone could help that would be ideal. "

^^^If you have the butt stock on your shoulder (shooters position), the barrel nut should be turned CLOCKWISE...I do not know what "to the left" is??

For ME..As a retired Auto Master Tech, with over 60 years of using my hands + tools, I can tell you that not all people are qualified to do mechanical repair...

I am MUCH LESS Book Smart than A LOT of people on this forum, but as far as general mechanical knowledge, I take a back seat to no one..

IMO--Stick to what you know, and pay someone else for the rest..Not that a person can not learn, but practice on something that is already "Broken"..

Flame on..Bill..

Last edited:
    Top Bottom