Any Reference books on Firearm tolerances?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I am interested in printed material that lists accepted tolerances on revolvers. I assume that there is something like this. I have been told Freedom Arms revolvers have tight tolerances while cheaper firearms have loose tolerances. I would like to know what is excellent, good, acceptable, poor, and junk and the different gaps, alignments, and timing on revolvers, specifically single action revolvers.

Thanks

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    The old Loren Smith "home gunsmithing the colt single action revolver" has been used by gunsmiths since it was first released back in th 60's (?).

Then there are the Kunhausen manuals which also do a fine job.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    After reading those books carefully you will learn about how manufacturer's give themselves a great deal of variance from those tolerances. I swear, some them don't even work from a blueprint - at all. Like Kimber or Remington. The Kuhnhausen books are very very good but even they contain errors.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    The old Loren Smith "home gunsmithing the colt single action revolver" has been used by gunsmiths since it was first released back in th 60's (?).

Then there are the Kunhausen manuals which also do a fine job.

After receiving both I see why the Kunhausen manual costs so much more. It is packed with information. I recommend it to anyone.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Having rebuilt a few with no real sophisticated tools I can say you are in for some fun. It's a good feeling when you put it together for the last time, hearing all four clicks in their proper sequence and seeing everything lined up.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    There was some chatter about a study done not that long testing revolver pressures effect on accuracy (it was talked about in one of the Forgotten weapons videos which i will search for (its gonna drive me nuts until i find it))... But they tested the effect of tight to loose cylinder gaps combined with a number of different calibers and barrel lengths and posted the results of the study.... While its not exactly what your looking for you still might find it useful... but im pretty sure it was talked about in one of his Q&A videos how recent? I cant say

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    There was some chatter about a study done not that long testing revolver pressures effect on accuracy (it was talked about in one of the Forgotten weapons videos which i will search for (its gonna drive me nuts until i find it))... But they tested the effect of tight to loose cylinder gaps combined with a number of different calibers and barrel lengths and posted the results of the study.... While its not exactly what your looking for you still might find it useful... but im pretty sure it was talked about in one of his Q&A videos how recent? I cant say

BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: Cylinder Gap

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    The two most common modifications that were in the most demand "back in my day" were changing the forcing cone from 9 degrees to 11 degrees to reduce leading and opening up the cylinder gap to .007 to .008" for black powder shooters to reduce binding from bp debris.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Thanks Russ I tried to send rep your way but im not sure thats a thing anymore

NP. Along with crazy goofy mechanical engineering, the science behind them driving that engineering is also fascinating to me. Half the bookmarks in my browser are weird stuff like that. I have a sizable folder about atypical engines too.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Most folks can't shoot a handgun for crap and a factory rig or one with some mods is good enough.
    But if you want to see how good you can shoot, yeah, get a Freedom Arms.

See them at IHMSA matches.

FWIW I've had a couple Ruger SBH that were very good.
    And a couple that were just OK.

Herr Vogel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Rossburg
    It's not information that is specific to firearms or gunsmithing, but The Machinery's Handbook is a reference text that's basically the mechanical engineer's and metalworkers's bible. It has a section on tolerances and allowances for fits. You can pick up a copy that's an edition or two behind current for little to nothing, and the vast majority of important information contained therein is stuff that hasn't changed in decades, so it's not like you're missing much.

From what I'm aware, actually choosing a tolerance or class of fit for a specific application is more than anything based around experience, best practices, and educated guesses.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Revolvers are kind of funny. Each part can be within tolerance and the tolerances will stack up to make the revolver not work. Or work very well. Or somewhere in between. This is why experienced pros are assumed to know how to adjust parts for the desired result.

Not saying you cannot gain that experience too....

Top Bottom