• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    Normally, when I set up a new AR 15 bolt, I like to remove the ejector and install a chrome silicon ejector spring. Well, this bolt was mounted in the Sinclair Bolt Vise and I was unable to drive the roll pin through from the top to remove the ejector and spring. Went to the internet in search of a solution. Heat the bolt, penetrating oil, drill the roll pin out, etc.
    Finally, thinking outside the box, or in this case, with the box turned over. Simply turn the Sinclair Bolt Vise upside down, insert the roll pin punch into the bottom side "exit hole" and drive the roll pin out. So simple, but could save someone some frustration removing a difficult ejector roll pin.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    You have 100,000rds through the same AR bolt?

No, about 3 Colts
    Let me edit this in before I go any farther.
    I used to clean my ARs after every use. Now I go about 3K before pulling them down for a decent cleaning. In this cleaning I do disassemble the BCG, inspect, and reassemble.
    I've yet to see a problem with any of these BCGs. My oldest is an M2 Colt and it's about due for rings so I figured I'd rebuild the whole BCG while I had it down. It still runs fine and the only malfunctions I've had out of it were from some PMC I thought were factory loads but turned out to be reloads I got from a friend of mine that cleared that up quick. The brass wouldn't eject and got lodged into the chamber. I only fired 3 rounds of that.
    I don't do anything special as far as cleaning or regular maintenance. Slip 2000 and CLP oil.
    Now back to my initial question...
    Is this something I should regularly change? I'm not being a smartass this time. I'm pretty good at it but I ask this in earnest.

Last edited:

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    Not a tapered roll pin. I am not aware of a schedule to replace ejector springs. Normally replaced if they are broke. Some say the chrome silicon springs last longer than regular music wire springs. Hence I install CS springs for the ejector and buffer spring, available from Brownells. More of a preventative maintenance than a necessity.

Last edited:

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I agree with chrome silicone springs (depending on quality).
    While music wire springs might have 100,000 cycle lifespan, chrome silicone can easily have a million cycle lifespan.

This is the metalurigic viewpoint which usually puts people to sleep, when you start eyes glaze over, mouths gape open, yawns, then naps...

I've seen hundreds of Bolt Carriers tossed, the gas rings gall and oversize the bore.
    The one piece spiral stainless steel gas ring is somewhat hard to install, but is softer than the ductile iron rings used by virtually all manufacturers.
    Stainless doesn't contain carbon, so they don't corrode creating rough edges that gouge the Bolt Carrier Bore,
    No carbon means the carbon doesn't burn out and bind with carbon from the combustion gasses so it doesn't gouge the bore,
    Stainless doesn't expand like carbon iron/steel, the tails of that gas ring doesn't spread out and gouge the bore, and keep in mind that three rings have 6 tails gouging the bore.

Since it's a coiled 'Spring' it expands to bore size, then gets clearance by the bore, it doesn't attempt to grind/gouge away the bore as it continues to expand, both spring pressure & thermal expansion.

Stainless coil also sweeps away sand/grit instead of grinding it into the bore of the bolt carrier.

Chrome silicone springs will keep spring pressure MUCH longer when compressed (or expanded).
    This means magazines can be left loaded for long periods without the spring getting weak, since the ejector, extractor, trigger & hammer springs are all under pressure at all times, chrome silicone springs survive MUCH longer than music wire springs.
    Chrome silicone springs also resist shock breakage, heat damage, and over compression damage much better than common music wire springs.

Keep in mind there is a HUGE difference between 'Music Wire' springs, while some can be quite tough, and the military contractors also sell to the civilian market (usually larger name brand makers that but in bulk), there is an increasing number of 'China Made' springs and other small parts on the market.
    The $299 'Farm Store' AR clone is likely to have crappy components... Just a byproduct of patents running out, the popularity of the AR style platform, and cost reduction in an increasingly competitive market.

So, now that 99% of people that started reading this post are asleep, I'll give them a break and let them nap! ;)
    I personally won't build a rifle without chrome silicone springs in everything involved with the rifle, or without stainless steel 1 piece gas ring simply because they stop 90% of comeback failures/stoppages. Warranty returns kill any profit margin in the current market, so no one wants returns.

Just as a side note, high carbon steel is showing up in a boat load of AR clones (and other imported parts).
    When hot combustion gasses hit high carbon steel, the carbon burns out creating slag...
    I'm sure you have heard about gas blocks 'Burning Out' oversize causing issues, BCGs burning out/galling excessively, and that is all due to high carbon content in the steel.
    When you hear 'Gas Jetting' or 'Gas Erosion' damage it's also high carbon steel issues.

Just an FYI... Take it for what you paid for it...

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    I have used the one piece McFarland gas rings for more than 10 years. McFarland gas rings are more difficult to install or remove, but they last much longer. I haven't had any problems using these. Oddly enough, the only McFarland type ring that Brownells carries is the JP Enhanced One Piece Gas Ring, and those are expensive. Brownells currently does not stock McFarland gas rings and MidwayUSA shows them as being discontinued.

Last edited:

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Before the unlimited budget after 9/11/01, we often had to make due with what ever was issued to us.
    I always had a full spring set, one piece gas ring, extra extractor & major pin set that 'E' clipped into place on M16s.
    Many of the rifles were so worn the pins wouldn't stay in place...

Since the Marines used Remington short actions, I usually had a cocking piece with spring & firing pin installed ready to go into the bolt.
    The M40s weren't in too bad of shape, but they did have quite a bit of wear and the cocking piece would rotate and screw up trigger release.

Before 9/11 Marines carried an average of $2,100 worth of gear, now they carry up to $23,000 worth of gear...
    (Depends on which version of night vision they are issued)

When qualifying in boot camp, I swiped a set screw out of a fan and took the slop out of the trigger release.
    If I'd got caught I'd been SCREWED, but I wasn't going to be a bolo trying to shoot a rifle that barely held together!
    They never caught the filed front sight post, the taped over & hole punched rear sight, the trigger job, the paper/cardboard between shotgun pins & lugs, etc so I did well.
    I SWORE I'd never own a piece of junk like that recruit rifle, and I haven't...

Top Bottom