• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I have been getting into a lot of new aspects gun wise recently. Finally getting into the things i have been putting off. I.e. competitions, revolvers, "nicer" guns etc. Something i have wanted to do just as long, is build a gun from bits and pieces. Something i normally wouldnt be able to afford all at once or sneak past the wife. Looking to start a real project, not put together an ar.. Been there done that. This would be a long term project a couple of months or even years is ok.
    What are some ideas or recommendations? I have strong mechanical knowledge but dont have access to my work shop anymore.(moved) im hoping to learn a lot and end up with a piece i can be proud of and keep for life. If anyone has any cool project pics or stories, that would be cool too.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This can be very rewarding of financially devastating. You have to choose a path and stay on it. Set your boundary's for what ever you choose to build and do your best. There are so many options. Just know you may well end up over invested as in the guns end worth will mean you are keeping it.

I offer this only because I can not follow my own advise....:):

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Most old gun stuff is like this, the constant search for unobtainium parts. Some things you just end up filing out of stock using the broken parts as a guide. You sometimes get the gun completed with non original parts then use it until an original part comes along. I'm setting up an original stock this week on a Colt Lightning 32-20. Up to this point it had a patched together stock. It will have a chip out of the heel but I think that just gives the gun a little character.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I plan on this being a long term project. Something that i could never sell. This feels like a great way to learn a lot. History, and mechanics of a gun. The parts search is actually my favorite part of "collecting" its most of what i do. But searching the same ar parts over and over again, lost its appeal long ago. Im up for a challenge and hope to do this again and again, each time learning and challenging myself more. Im just not sure what to start with. I was thinking some old single action revolver or maybe a ww2 battle rifle. The history and cool factor are equally important for me.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    This can be very rewarding of financially devastating. You have to choose a path and stay on it. Set your boundary's for what ever you choose to build and do your best. There are so many options. Just know you may well end up over invested as in the guns end worth will mean you are keeping it.

I offer this only because I can not follow my own advise....:):

THIS ..... Truer words were never spoken .....

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Build a double rifle on an old SxS hammer shotgun frame. I know a guy with some starter pieces.

That sound awesome but i wouldnt know where to start. I might look into it and see if its sometging i could do.

I like the idea of doing a colt saa. Im still in the plotting stage. Idk if tgat would be a good one to start with or if i should go with an easier platform.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Try a 10/22 build which only requires a drill press and taps or if you want bigger challenge try a sten very hands on build yet it doesn't require much more than a dremel, some files and a mapp torch (soldering)...if you have a welder it's easier yet.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I was thinking about a 10/22 but since they are so commonplace i think id rather hust go out and buy one to make my own. Now a sten... Theres an idea. Are all recievers demilled?

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    get a budget first..........last thing that you need is a half built anything

No budget per se. This would be something that i intend on putting hours upon dollars. I dont plan on it being financially effecient. If its cheaper and easier, thatd be nice but i just want something different with a story.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    No budget per se. This would be something that i intend on putting hours upon dollars. I dont plan on it being financially effecient. If its cheaper and easier, thatd be nice but i just want something different with a story.

Been there....done that....still have a few project that I am working on as parts become available. For me, its Mauser rifles that have gotten under my skin. I look for one of the not so popular models and work to restore them. I find mis-matched or mildly "Bubba'ed" up rifle for fairly cheap, and then spend way too much time and money putting them back to "issued" condition. I'm currently working on a pair of M94 Swedish Mauser carbines. When they are done, I will have all of the Swedish line of military Mausers in my collection. I love doing the research on these old military rifles and learn everything I can about their development and history.

Fair warning...this is not cheap. But, it is a cost that is occurred little by little and one piece at a time. I fly under the Wifes financial radar that way:cool:

Top Bottom