• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    So I have this 10/22 that I didn't overly like, but a used Douglas barrel & used Boyds stock made this rifle fun to shoot.
    As I said the stock is used,and the previous owner,must of had a mishap with it, because the first inch is cut off and the swing swivel added to the end of the forearm. This is ok for sling shooting, but you cannot add a bi-pod.
    A rail is needed on the forearm of the stock.....ok.....no problem.

A buddy coughed up the rail.....score!

Then I headed out to the shop and made these inserts on the lathe. Yellow brass, with a 5/16-18 thread (cut undersized so the epoxy had room to lock on to the insert) the boss is 7/16 x .100, tapped 10-32.

Now we need to drill,tap & c'bore the stock to accept the inserts. This operation was done in the milling machine. The stock was covered in tape to keep from marring up the finish, the forearm end was placed in the vise,a screwjack and clamp were added to the action area.the stock was checked both ways with a level.Time to drill,tap & c'bore.

After "dry fitting " epoxy was mixed up, added to the threads and the inserts installed in the stock. The screw & nut where "locked" on the insert and used as the install tool.

Tomorrow night the epoxy will of had 24 hours to cure, and I will post pictures of the rail & bi-pod attached to the stock.

What ya guys think?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I like it & I don't even use bipods. Nice work!

I have yet to find the "perfect" 10/22 stock & have thought about building something myself.

Top Bottom