• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    I have three new Dawson Base pads on STI Mags that the slide won't release with out more than normal pressure ( Like using a small rubber mallet ) My others all release easily and it is not an issue to just slide them forward and remove the base.

There is a small pin that is pushed by a spring that keeps the slide in place as it should. On these 3 the spring tension is noticeably stiffer. This is why they won't release. What can be done about this so they will release like the others? I have no idea how to remove the spring and pin.

Anyone else deal with this?

I know that it is important to not have the slide release to easy but It is difficult to get them cleaned at the match. Also I didn't want to carry a mallet around.

Thanks for any intelligent assistance.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have three new Dawson Base pads on STI Mags that the slide won't release with out more than normal pressure ( Like using a small rubber mallet ) My others all release easily and it is not an issue to just slide them forward and remove the base.

There is a small pin that is pushed by a spring that keeps the slide in place as it should. On these 3 the spring tension is noticeably stiffer. This is why they won't release. What can be done about this so they will release like the others? I have no idea how to remove the spring and pin.

Anyone else deal with this?

I know that it is important to not have the slide release to easy but It is difficult to get them cleaned at the match. Also I didn't want to carry a mallet around.

Thanks for any intelligent assistance.

Do you have the proper springs in the mags. I went round and round with Dawson on the last 2011 I built and bought mags for. It was a serious issue to get the right parts.

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I think he’s taking about the slider that releases the base from the mag tube.
    All of mine have been used when I got them but none are that tightly sprung. The spring and pin isn’t captured, ask me how I know that....
    I would imagine you could either cut down the spring or the pin or get a softer spring to allow them to release.
    Ive only contacted Dawson customer service once about a delivery but they were very responsive, they would probably send you a replacement spring and/or pin.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think he’s taking about the slider that releases the base from the mag tube.
    All of mine have been used when I got them but none are that tightly sprung. The spring and pin isn’t captured, ask me how I know that....
    I would imagine you could either cut down the spring or the pin or get a softer spring to allow them to release.
    Ive only contacted Dawson customer service once about a delivery but they were very responsive, they would probably send you a replacement spring and/or pin.

I was thinking slide release..........:scratch:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That’s kind of what I thought first as well..
    Anyway either the pin or the spring are too long to allow easy release, mine will depress with a ball point pen.
    I can measure the pin, spring and hole tomorrow evening

Dawson changes up the design. My older mags and the newer ones have different followers that are not interchangeable. I had a base pad issue on the newer ones as well but reasons for the issues are lost to time.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    I am talking about the slide release on the base pads. I am thinking I will need to call dawson on this.

The slide that removes the basepad off of the Magazine. Sorry not the slide.

I understood perfectly what I was saying.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am talking about the slide release on the base pads. I am thinking I will need to call dawson on this.

The slide that removes the basepad off of the Magazine. Sorry not the slide.

I understood perfectly what I was saying.

Oh we figured it out...:)
    None of mine are all that easy. Hope you get this figured out. When you do update please.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    Oh we figured it out...:)
    None of mine are all that easy. Hope you get this figured out. When you do update please.

I called them and they are saying it is not normal and they will look at them. So I am sending them back in. I will advise when they come back.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I bet the detent that holds the slider in place is a little too deep.

I know this doesn’t really help, but issues like this as well as having a couple completely fail when dropped is why i switched to Taran basepads and or MBX complete mags.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    I bet the detent that holds the slider in place is a little too deep.

I know this doesn’t really help, but issues like this as well as having a couple completely fail when dropped is why i switched to Taran basepads and or MBX complete mags.

I know it's a tuning issue but I had problems with MBX and this gun. No issues with the STI mags.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I know it's a tuning issue but I had problems with MBX and this gun. No issues with the STI mags.

I get it for sure....if you get fed up with the dawson pads, taran pads are pretty trouble free as long as you tighten down the set screw on the pin that holds them in place.

Top Bottom