• ...and so much more!
  • Microairman1

Marksman
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    May 9, 2016
    New carlisle
    I have a project I'm thinking about trying but need some help,
    Converting an old single shot .22 that has been well used to the .17hm2. Barrel liners are fairly cheap. The hard part is boring the barrel out to 8mm(.315 as liner is .312 or 5/16")

So my question is, who rebores barrels local? Im near south bend, I mean the barrel could be shipped easily. But who can do it? Check local and all local gunsmith can't.
    Should I buy the drills and take my time myself?
    Or is there a good place to get it done?
    Any help would be awesome!

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    If you decide to try the do-it-yourself plan, it can be done for less money than what redman charges. I've done .22lr and it was fairly easy.
    Bought liner, drill bit, chamber reamer from Brownell's.
    Pucker factor is in the drilling out the barrel. Did mine with a battery powered 14v Dewalt. Took about 30 minutes and lots of cutting oil. Two most common ways to secure the liner are solder and , believe it or not, Locktite. I chose the Locktite option for the simplicity. Will require a re-crown as well.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    There used to be a guy between Bremen and Bourbon that did some good gunsmithing work. His name was John Strange (I think). His business was called Tactical something. I thought I heard that he retired though. I'll see what I can dig up.

Found this in the gunsmith sticky. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-discussion/40454-list-indiana-gunsmiths.html

Tactical Component
    John Strang
    Bremen In
    574-250-9509

Farr & Sons in Niles, MI also had good things said about them.

Last edited:

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I can say having a lathe will make things much easier. I have done several in my shop, and have always used green loctite like the post above, and yet to have any not hold.

Your expense will be with tooling, more than parts. Too, labor rates on machines aren't cheap. Personally, I'd figure on spending $150-$200.

Best of luck to you!

Top Bottom