• ...and so much more!
  • Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Hey all! I need some assistance.

I am working on a refinishing project on a Ruger LCPII due to their terrible slide coating. the slide had massive corrosion from sweat right behind the ejection port and around the extractor. The rust is so bad it's frozen the extractor, and i cant get it shifted enough to remove it. I've soaked it in PB blaster, applied generalized heat, and still wont budge. what are some of your methods in breaking up rust deep between surfaces?

Thanks!

tedk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    This is from another forum, hope it helps.

Recently “Machinist Workshop Magazine” did a test on penetrating oils. Using nuts and bolts that they ‘scientifically rusted’ to a uniform degree by soaking in salt water, they then tested the break-out torque required to loosen the nuts.

They treated the nuts with a variety of penetrants and measured the torque required to loosen them. This is what they came up with:

Nothing: 516 lbs
    WD-40: 238 lbs;
    PB Blaster: 214 lbs;
    Liquid Wrench: 127 lbs,
    Kano Kroil: 106 lbs
    (ATF)/Acetone mix (50/50) 56 lbs

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    This is from another forum, hope it helps.

Recently “Machinist Workshop Magazine” did a test on penetrating oils. Using nuts and bolts that they ‘scientifically rusted’ to a uniform degree by soaking in salt water, they then tested the break-out torque required to loosen the nuts.

They treated the nuts with a variety of penetrants and measured the torque required to loosen them. This is what they came up with:

Nothing: 516 lbs
    WD-40: 238 lbs;
    PB Blaster: 214 lbs;
    Liquid Wrench: 127 lbs,
    Kano Kroil: 106 lbs
    (ATF)/Acetone mix (50/50) 56 lbs

That helps immensely. I'll be trying atf/acetone this evening after i clean it off.

DangerousDave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Cayuga
    Make sure you mix it up in a glass jar, as acetone will eventually eat through certain types of plastic. I use basically the same formula only, 1part kerosene, 1 part trans fluid, and 1 part acetone.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Make sure you mix it up in a glass jar, as acetone will eventually eat through certain types of plastic. I use basically the same formula only, 1part kerosene, 1 part trans fluid, and 1 part acetone.

I have kerosene, too, to use. does that seem to be a more effective solution?

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    Electrolysis should do the trick in pretty short order and it will remove ALL of the rust. I do this all the time with surplus guns that look like they haven't seen oil in years. You would be surprised at the results.

DangerousDave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Cayuga
    I got that recipe out of ''Farm Show" magazine. It was used to remove rusted bolts and nuts on farm equipment. I've used it for years, Works better than PB Blaster in my estimation.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    When soaking in vinegar you are soaking it in an acid. Personally I would not to it. I have used the ATF acetone trick (works really good) and have used straight kerosenev(good). A combo of the 3 might work really well.

I have also used electrolysis on large parts. It works great. You could try it, But I am pretty sure you will loose some finish. If you are redoing it I see no issue.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a can of Kroil on the shelf over the bench. Not had a much need to go past that but the ATF mixture sounds like something we all need as well. Very interesting.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    The ATF/acetone/kerosene mixture worked!

I let it soak in that for a few hours, went back, and then had to tap the extractor and then plunger around to get it loosened up and out.

The extractor hole on an LCP is a blind hole, the spring sits inside, with the plunger on top, then the extractor on top of that. I actually had to tap the extractor from the breach face side to get the plunger to sink into it's channel, then soak it again, and tap the plunger back down into the channel to break it free.

Now i'm just trying to figure out which parts i'll need to replace, and what i can clean up and how.

Thanks again for the help, you guys are awesome.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm very interested in the ATF/acetone/kerosene mixture. I think I need to have some home made better "PBblaster" ready to go?

Wonder what plastics can you get away with? The acetone fingernail polish remover bottle?

What methods do you folks use to dispense/apply/spray this stuff with?

Will this work as a rust preventative also?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I'm very interested in the ATF/acetone/kerosene mixture. I think I need to have some home made better "PBblaster" ready to go?

Wonder what plastics can you get away with? The acetone fingernail polish remover bottle?

Acetone is what that use in finger nail polish. But that put moisturizing stuff and other things in it. It will usually leave a residue behind. Acetone is really cheap. As for plastics, It will melt a lot of them. Especially ABS. Keep it away from them.

For use as a lube, It would be ok, But the Kero smell or the ATF smell is not that pleasant. The acetone will evaporate and leave the ATF behind. I think the kero would evaporate to. That mix is the bomb for rusted stuff though. I'd stick with gun oil for a lube. I use straight 30 weight oil for most things.

I apply it with a syringe. A eye dropper would work great too. A spray bottle seems like it would be messy. I

DangerousDave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Cayuga
    I used to have a friend who was a knife collector. He put ATF on all his blades. Swore it was better than oil and that it stayed on better. I also knew a guy that used to work on old clocks. He used kerosene on the gears to lube them. Said dirt wouldn't stick to them as much as if using oil.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette

The kero/acetone/atf mixture was excellent. i keep what i mixed in a sealed ball jar, should keep the acetone and kerosene from evaporating. in this instance, i dipped the whole butt end of the slide in the jar, i really needed it down in there. droppers would work as well, i used cheapo ones from amazon, https://amzn.to/2Eexh6u but i would not use these long term. they're one time use, as i dont trust them to not dissolve eventually.

As for gun oil, up until recently i relied on a home made mixture i called "unicorn blood" (see below video)
    [video=youtube;lmWfV6ajav4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmWfV6ajav4[/video]

That is, until i actually did testing on it. it did ok, but i found that Slip2000 and Break Free CLP were significantly superior in rust prevention. (see below video)
    [video=youtube;sYatPkSJ_Og]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYatPkSJ_Og[/video]

so now i use those two on high corrosion prone things like carry guns and blued guns. i ended up with a metric crap ton of oils after that test, so on other parts i'm just cycling through all of those oils. i have enough oil to last me 5 years, and i'm getting requests for another video... so odds are i'm gonna end up with more :):

as far as applying gun oils, i use these when the stock bottle doesnt have a decent dropper point on it https://amzn.to/2PtQ1AR

Top Bottom