Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Marksman Work's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Need assistance with beating RUST

    Hey all! I need some assistance.

    I am working on a refinishing project on a Ruger LCPII due to their terrible slide coating. the slide had massive corrosion from sweat right behind the ejection port and around the extractor. The rust is so bad it's frozen the extractor, and i cant get it shifted enough to remove it. I've soaked it in PB blaster, applied generalized heat, and still wont budge. what are some of your methods in breaking up rust deep between surfaces?

    Thanks!
    Aim high in life.... you've got to compensate for bullet drop.

  2. #2
    Snooter Tactically Fat's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Vibratory washer w/ heat?
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

  3. #3
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    This is from another forum, hope it helps.



    Recently “Machinist Workshop Magazine” did a test on penetrating oils. Using nuts and bolts that they ‘scientifically rusted’ to a uniform degree by soaking in salt water, they then tested the break-out torque required to loosen the nuts.

    They treated the nuts with a variety of penetrants and measured the torque required to loosen them. This is what they came up with:

    Nothing: 516 lbs
    WD-40: 238 lbs;
    PB Blaster: 214 lbs;
    Liquid Wrench: 127 lbs,
    Kano Kroil: 106 lbs
    (ATF)/Acetone mix (50/50) 56 lbs

  4. #4
    Marksman Work's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by tedk View Post
    This is from another forum, hope it helps.



    Recently “Machinist Workshop Magazine” did a test on penetrating oils. Using nuts and bolts that they ‘scientifically rusted’ to a uniform degree by soaking in salt water, they then tested the break-out torque required to loosen the nuts.

    They treated the nuts with a variety of penetrants and measured the torque required to loosen them. This is what they came up with:

    Nothing: 516 lbs
    WD-40: 238 lbs;
    PB Blaster: 214 lbs;
    Liquid Wrench: 127 lbs,
    Kano Kroil: 106 lbs
    (ATF)/Acetone mix (50/50) 56 lbs
    That helps immensely. I'll be trying atf/acetone this evening after i clean it off.
    Aim high in life.... you've got to compensate for bullet drop.

  5. #5
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    Make sure you mix it up in a glass jar, as acetone will eventually eat through certain types of plastic. I use basically the same formula only, 1part kerosene, 1 part trans fluid, and 1 part acetone.

  6. #6
    Marksman Work's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousDave View Post
    Make sure you mix it up in a glass jar, as acetone will eventually eat through certain types of plastic. I use basically the same formula only, 1part kerosene, 1 part trans fluid, and 1 part acetone.
    I have kerosene, too, to use. does that seem to be a more effective solution?
    Aim high in life.... you've got to compensate for bullet drop.

  7. #7
    Greyman Apprentice Old Bear's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Electrolysis should do the trick in pretty short order and it will remove ALL of the rust. I do this all the time with surplus guns that look like they haven't seen oil in years. You would be surprised at the results.
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger......except Bears......Bears will KILL you

  8. #8
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    I got that recipe out of ''Farm Show" magazine. It was used to remove rusted bolts and nuts on farm equipment. I've used it for years, Works better than PB Blaster in my estimation.

  9. #9
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    A soaking in apple cider vinegar takes rust off of heavy rusted parts.

  10. #10
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Onebad06vtx View Post
    A soaking in apple cider vinegar takes rust off of heavy rusted parts.
    So you're saying soak it in cider?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •