• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierfishing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Bought a new 10/22. When pulling back the charging handle it has a grinding sound. None of my other 10/22s sound like this. I ordered another guide rod and spring but it still does it. Anyone else out there have a newer 10/22 that does this?

Thanks All

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    Have you pulled the the bolt out and look at the inside top of receiver? Maybe needs a little refinement with some fine grit sandpaper. Never has happened on any that I have bought.

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Mine was a little rougher than I liked even though it didn’t seem to affect function. I looked into it on the rimfire forum and they recommended polishing the interior of the receiver with a scotchbright pad, not going crazy but just slicking up the surface a

hoosierfishing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Thanks guys. I put 100 runs through it and it ran great. No problems. It won’t bother me as long as it didn’t effect the function of the rifle.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    The more you shoot it the more it will smooth out. There is a reason they are in the $200.00 range.

I bought one of the wrinkled finished ones when they came out. The inside of the receiver had so much over spray it wouldn't run. Ten minutes with 400 grit paper and it ran fine after that.

Dry lube is your friend in a 10-22. Clean up is a lot easier oil for lube = sludge.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Same "problem" here. My 20yo is fine. The one I bought a couple of years ago for my son is gritty as hell. But as you noticed, works fine.

Must be cutting some corners.

hoosierfishing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Don’t judge until you try it. Besides, if Bruce Jenner can win women of the year and transgender can use whatever bath room they want, then I can do whatever I want with my gun. lol

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Mine was a little rougher than I liked even though it didn’t seem to affect function. I looked into it on the rimfire forum and they recommended polishing the interior of the receiver with a scotchbright pad, not going crazy but just slicking up the surface a

...now where did I put my dremel... :):

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    i'd question if its the bolt or the receiver? whats causing the grinding? if it were me, i'd contact ruger, it could be something on the guide rail, or it could be on underside of the top of the receiver, it could even be something with the finish on the receiver that will wear off given time.

I just bought a brownells 10/22 receiver, and I had to dremel off a tiny amount of the guide rail to get the bolt to drop in (its a tandenkross cnc bolt) and when I got it in, it felt like rubbing 2 pieces of sandpaper together (I mean the roughest grit you can buy!) but I oiled the crap out of it, and still its kind of rough, I'm sure it'll smooth out with time, but I've thought about polishing off the finish off the inside top of the receiver, just to smooth it out.

the first time I really cleaned my 10/22, I mean a real deep clean! pulled the bolt out, removed the barrel. and got out the tooth brush, when I put it back together, I couldn't believe how smooth it really was!, I mean were talking years! probably 25 years worth of dirt, grime, filth and unburnt powder!, before it was cleaned it was like John Wayne!, rough tough and didn't take s**t from nobody!, and after cleaning it was smother than a baby's bottom! (it was really dirty when I got it from my dad).

good luck!

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I have a half dozen 10/22s and all of them have felt like they were full of sand when they were new. I disassemble the charging handle, chuck the guide rod in a drill and polish the rod. Makes a lot of difference.

Top Bottom