Join INGunOwners For Free

User Info Menu

Mauser C96 Shoulder Stock Fitting

Hi all. I have a reproduction shoulder stock for my Mauser C96 that requires fitting in order for it to go on the handle of the gun itself. Being that this an OLD gun, dated 1915-1921, I don't want to potentially ruin any part of the gun. Does anyone here know exactly what part of the shoulder stock it is that I need to file/sand so it will fit onto the gun? It goes just a little over 1/3 of the way on and no further.

BTW, I am aware of the BATFE's stance on repro stocks, in case anyone felt the need to give me a friendly, albeit, welcome reminder.

User Info Menu

First thing is to clean the stock slot on your Mauser to make sure nothing is lodged in there preventing the stock from sliding in. When done push the stock in slowly while looking at it closely, many repro stock irons are a little wide and uneven a few strokes with a file followed by some fine grit sandpaper will take care of the problem. Watching and taking your time will make the difference between a good fit and a wobbly one.

Best of luck.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

Well so far the width and all check out, but I'm starting to wonder if maybe the plate of the stock's attachment needs sanded. The back of the Mauser's handle got scuffed while trying to put it on.

User Info Menu

You'll get it fixed, just takes a while. Done a few of these over the years.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

Oh wow! That's really neat! Thanks, I'll give this all a whirl, and hopefully enough filing and sanding will get this puppy together.

User Info Menu

If you donít have a bottle of Dykem, color the stock piece with a Sharpie/magic marker. Try fitting them together and see where the marker was rubbed off. That will show interference points for you to file/sand.
    This space for rent. I doubt you'll like the rates...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
    If you donít have a bottle of Dykem, color the stock piece with a Sharpie/magic marker. Try fitting them together and see where the marker was rubbed off. That will show interference points for you to file/sand.
    This is an excellent method.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

Ah! I cannot believe I did not think about that! I shall try it now.