• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Curtis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    i have seen a gun cleaning kit on Amazon where all the tips are brass instead of plastic. Does it really matter if the tips are brass or plastic? I am thinking about getting one of them. My current stuff is in a shoe box and a mishmash of cleaners and tips and stuff. Any thoughts?

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    I don't have a "store bought" kit. I have put together what I needed for what caliber I had at the time and just continued to grow my kit to what I needed. I have no plastic jags but I do have some plastic patch holders or whatever they are called as well as brass ones. I have all kinds of cleaning solutions, but my go to is the stuff I just found on here a few months ago Reds homemade. Build your kit the way you want it or use it. My kit is in a plano tackle tray. Only my solutions as well as my full length rifle rods aren't in there. Why have a 20ga brush and mop if you don't own a shotgun. -Jason

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Even better...instead of buying a kit, invest in a carbon fiber rod and a set of brass jags. It will last forever and you don’t ever have to replace a flimsy 3 piece rod that is going to break at some point.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I started with a kit.
    Then I kept adding stuff to make it easier.
    So I got a small tackle box to hold it.
    Then I had to upgrade to a medium box.
    Now I have a large tackle box.
    Anything to make it easier.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Do yourself a favor and start with quality one piece cleaning rods like the Bore Tech Proof-Positive line and matching jags. Pricey but a pleasure to use.

I buy what I need for the guns I have. I still have parts that I never needed/used left from "kits" bought back in the '70's.

Over the years I've learned not to skimp on tools. Things like rod guides for AR's and bolt actions are also good items to have.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    Haven't broken a brass tip, but I have broken the plastic/nylon ones. The only real good use for a plastic/nylon tip would be when using an aggressive copper removing bore cleaner. These copper removing cleaners will show a false positive for copper fouling when used with brass tips or phosphor bronze bore brushes.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2010
    AVON
    I have a Winchester gun cleaning kit. Looks like a thin pistol case, so it stacks easily. Has everything from .17 cal to 12 gauge. Mixture of plastic + brass. Inside is slotted so everything has a place. No digging thru a gym bag looking for cleaning rods. I agree on the brass tips, still use plastic for solvents. Now if they just made something for cleaning solutions + oil bottles. :)

Top Bottom