• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I recently picked up an unfired Sig P938 and have had 3 feed issues in the first 300 rounds. It's like a stovepipe failure except for it ejects the spent case just fine and then stovepipes the next live round. It always happened on the last or next to last round on the 7 round extended mags.

Magazine issue?
    a3bf9a968f346bdb6fbfa69c75b944dd.jpg
    fba1b1c63889808b93decece7fea404d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I recently picked up an unfired Sig P938 and have had 3 feed issues in the first 300 rounds. It's like a stovepipe failure except for it ejects the spent case just fine and then stovepipes the next live round. It always happened on the last or next to last round on the 7 round extended mags.

Magazine issue?
    a3bf9a968f346bdb6fbfa69c75b944dd.jpg
    fba1b1c63889808b93decece7fea404d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Feed lips on the magazine, follower or spring. Try a different mag.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Sig uses some pretty damn strong springs in the 238 & 938 mags...once you figure out which mag it is, hopefully after weakening the mag spring with use over time the issue will correct itself...

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I also would think the first place to look would be the mag's feed lips.

Make that particular mag a range-only mag. Or break it down into spare parts and then recycle the mag body itself.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I would suggest slowing down the action just a touch with a lighter recoil spring and filing the feed ramp in the mag. You need a less aggressive feed arch and the slide needs to stop catching it.

Edit: I could be thinking backwards on the spring. Perhaps the action is too slow.

Last edited:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Should have went with my gut instinct. The bullet is arriving late to the party and the slide catches the extraction groove instead of the base. Speed up feed or slow down action. Make sure slide goes all the way back. I found some good information on the interweb but for some reason I can't share the link, or save it on my homescreen, or find it again.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I took it out this morning again and got the same issue with two different mags. In the past, it was crappy Remington UMC ammo that had issues with SD ammo running well. Today it was the opposite. The SD ammo all seemed to choke. The gun did not like Critical Duty, Speer or 147g HSTs. It's always the last or second to the last round in the mag. I need to get a couple of known good mags off of my son and give it a shot with those. When it's running well, as it did today with the UMC, it's a really nice shooter. It points naturally and is very accurate for its size. My other P938 has never had an issue. If the mag swap still indicates problem with this gun, it will have to head to the mother ship.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Second to last or last round in the mag may be indicative of a bad mag catch/release and/or mag follower problem. If it happens with ALL mags - it's the mag release. If it's mag specific, it's well, it's the mag.

Not an ammo problem.

Source: I had a similar issue with a formerly owned Kahr CW-40 eons ago. Next to last mag in each round would strip, chamber, and fire...and then drop the mag. Factory replaced the mag catch and all was hunky dory once again.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Second to last or last round in the mag may be indicative of a bad mag catch/release and/or mag follower problem. If it happens with ALL mags - it's the mag release. If it's mag specific, it's well, it's the mag.

Not an ammo problem.

Source: I had a similar issue with a formerly owned Kahr CW-40 eons ago. Next to last mag in each round would strip, chamber, and fire...and then drop the mag. Factory replaced the mag catch and all was hunky dory once again.

Agreed.

Top Bottom