• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    The purist in my hesitates to do anything to a nice older rifle, so I'm hoping there's a non-invasive, reversible way to accomplish the following:

This rifle has a faux magazine tube under the barrel that I'd like to remove. However, the front barrel band that supports the sight would look silly without the tube; so, is there some kind of front sight that isn't screwed or dovetailed to the barrel that I could press fit or clamp on? its a .22 as you may have guessed.

And, so you can maybe understand the reasoning, I really like the Winchester with the short tube that Paul Newman carried in Hombre, but my income doesn't yet support a vintage Winchester collection!

Thanks in advance. My internet searches turned up diddly, unless the diameter is similar to an AR. That I have not checked yet.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    With a fake magazine tune, it sounds like an Ithaca 49, one of the lever action single shot .22’s. There are several older 22’s that used a slip on front sight, but you’d have to find one with a very similar barrel OD. What about locating a spare, original front sight and removing the magazine tube hanger from that one and use it on your rifle. If need be, you could drill and tap the bottom of the sight band for a set screw to lock it in place on the barrel.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    That's a good idea. I finally figure out the proper search terms and found an option at Numrich. Its a slip on front sight with set screw, basically exactly what you mentioned. Better yet they gave the barrel diameter and its close enough to mine that if it isn't perfect I can add a shim or subtract with a round file. Better yet, is was 12 bucks before shipping.

Top Bottom