• ...and so much more!
  • Luckyoldguy

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 20, 2017
    NE Indianapolis
    I recently got out one of my milsurp rifles to look at, check and treat it. I have never used "Break Free CO Collector" before but decided to give it a try since it says it protects for up to 5 years. I disassembled the gun and applied the "CO Collector" to all components with a artist's brush. It was pretty thick and went on pretty heavy as advertised. I let it sit expecting it to dry out some and leave a film as with other products I have used. After a couple of days it is still very wet. I store my milsurps in "Bore Stores" gun cases/sleeves with trigger locks. I do not have a gun safe and will not be getting one. (I store my hand guns in a approved locked box). The application instructions on both the container and the Break Free web site are not very detailed or helpful and I have not found answers on the web. Since I assume I cannot put the "wet" gun back into the case I have some questions I would appreciate help with.
    -Since I cannot put the "wet" gun back into the Bore Stores case I wondered if I should have wiped down the "CO Collector" after applying and then let it dry some?
    -Is the gun staying "wet" after applying the Collectors normal or should I have a applied it differently?
    -If the gun staying this wet after application is normal, how do people store them like this?
    -Will the wet oil affect/hurt the wood?
    Thanks in advance,

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I've used BFCO for about 15 years for the same reasons you post. It does stay tacky for a long time and that is how it does its job. However, since I used BFCLP exclusively for everything, I find that I never have needed the extra protection on any storage. Yes BFCO has gotten on my wood stocks before (not deliberately) but it has never harmed any finish. If you are truly going to leave a carbon steel gun or knife undisturbed for more than 3 years then BFCO is your product. Of course in the old days we coated everything with grease with no problems as well.

Last edited:

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    I have used BoeShield and EEZOX for firearms in long-term storage and both are effective in preventing rust. The EEZOX leaves a dry coating and the BoeSheild leaves a dry coating that feels a little waxy. Both coatings do not require removal of the coating prior to shooting.

Luckyoldguy

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 20, 2017
    NE Indianapolis
    Thanks for your responses. Does anyone other than Trapper Jim (Thanks for your input Trapper) have any first hand experience with "Break Free CO Collector"?

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    Thanks for your responses. Does anyone other than Trapper Jim (Thanks for your input Trapper) have any first hand experience with "Break Free CO Collector"?
    I have used CO and it works well, but it does remain wet. If applied sparingly it shouldn't leach too much into your Bore Stores Cases. If you want a dry preservative, try BoeShield or EEZOX.

Luckyoldguy

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 20, 2017
    NE Indianapolis
    How do you apply?

I use it on most everything that goes back in the safe.
    I use bore stores or sack ups on everything also it has never hurt anything I have used it on for the last 5-6 years

Thanks. When I apply with artist brush it is very heavy and wet. Do you wipe it down after applying and before putting it in bore stores?
    Pete

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have used Collector for many years now and it works as advertised. I also apply with a small stenciling brush. You do not need a heavy wet coating - a thin layer is all that is required. I have never had Collector allow any rust or seen it dry to a sticky film. Even after 3 or 4 years of one application it looks like I applied it yesterday. Good stuff and reasonably priced. Before Collector was on the market I just used Breakfree CLP and it does a very good job as well. I have taken many 1911s I was working on while they were still unfinished steel to the range on hot humid days and CLP prevented any rusting. You can spend more on other rust preventative lubes but none are really any better than Breakfree's products.

Luckyoldguy

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 20, 2017
    NE Indianapolis
    I have used Collector for many years now and it works as advertised. I also apply with a small stenciling brush. You do not need a heavy wet coating - a thin layer is all that is required. I have never had Collector allow any rust or seen it dry to a sticky film. Even after 3 or 4 years of one application it looks like I applied it yesterday. Good stuff and reasonably priced. Before Collector was on the market I just used Breakfree CLP and it does a very good job as well. I have taken many 1911s I was working on while they were still unfinished steel to the range on hot humid days and CLP prevented any rusting. You can spend more on other rust preventative lubes but none are really any better than Breakfree's products.

Thanks Drail. I appreciate the input. Have applied it to a couple of my milsurps and will let you know in about 5 years of results. (Hopefully I'm not joking.)

Top Bottom