• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    Ahh, the joys of older guns...I dismantled this Ithaca 49 to see about removing the fake magazine tube. Upon removing the forend, I discovered someone has at some time drilled through the wood and into the barrel. I measured the deepest part of the hole (it's off center) at 4mm. I then measured the barrel thickness at the muzzle and found it to be darn near 4mm. I don't know much, but I'm guessing this is not safe. Can I fill the hole with a metal epoxy? Should I never shoot this gun? The hole doesn't go through but I'm guessing it's very close. A bit of research showed these barrels are drilled to be pinned to the receiver, so if I got a used one from numrich it'd have to be headspaced by a pro, which would be ok compared to not being able to shoot it. The amount of dirt in the hole makes me think this happened a long time ago so I think it's been shot since, but who knows. How dangerous is this?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20181222_183411.jpg
      20181222_183411.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 55
    • 20181222_183352.jpg
      20181222_183352.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 45
    • 20181222_183337.jpg
      20181222_183337.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 46

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What is the O.D. at the point it is drilled. Subtract the ID and divide by 2. That will give you the thickness. Then take the depth of the drill hole from that.

No, do not use metal fill on it.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    How far down the barrel is this?

It's not really very likely, at least from the photos, that you are anywhere near peak pressure...may only be a few hundred or a thousand psi out there if you are using SV ammo.

I'd probly ask a VERY experienced welder. Maybe heat sink it all around the hole, run in a plug of heat sink paste about 3" long, and TIG the thing...faster the weld the better.

But the TIG needs to be done with 4140 CM rod, or you'll never get rebluing to even sorta match.

Ya know what though...

...the smith and new barrel might be cheaper.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    Thanks for the responses. It's roughly in the middle of the barrel. I've slept since then but the outer diameter in the middle of the barrel is just under .6 inches, and the depth of the hole being 4mm, which without going out there seems to be about .3, it's a wonder the barrel isn't cracked. Unless, like someone mentioned, the pressure is low enough it's ok. What's the cost to reline the barrel?

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    That makes sense. I was thinking if this hole is anywhere near piercing through the inside, that making sure the barrel had enough meat to it by relining it, it would be ok. However, given your antenna idea and the fact this is a single shot that seems to have been used quite a bit after the damage occurred, I'm tempted to run it as is and investigate finding a good welder at some point in the future.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Do not weld it, you are almost 100% promised to warp the barrel...........relining it is possibly the 2nd best idea, but as the drill used will follow the bore, be careful as the drill could grab and bind up at that spot in the barrel
    if this were my rifle ( and I can do my own barrel/chamber work) I would rebarrel it and shoot the snot out a it

DangerousDave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Cayuga
    I agree with 55 Fairlane. Welding will change the temper or heat treatment of the barrel in that area. I bought a liner a few years ago either from Sarco or Numrich. They advertised it as a liner or could be used as a barrel. It was thick enough to use as a barrel but still thin enough that it could be used as a liner. Hope that helps.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I'm awaiting approval to join the Ithaca owners group message board to see if anyone knows whether or not I can use a barrel from an Ithaca repeater. It's the only one available, but a liner is thirty bucks and a barrel is 40 so I thought a barrel might be cheaper to install. I read a how to on barrel liners and would let someone else do that for sure, not me! Anyone have a recommendation of a gunsmith to install a liner or a barrel?

DangerousDave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Cayuga
    If a liner is $30 and a barrel is $40, you are still going to have the cost of a gunsmith to install it. If that's the case I would go with the new barrel. If it is just pinned to the receiver, It is a simple job of drifting the pin out and installing new barrel. Buy a good set of gunsmith punches and make sure you use the right size punch.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Thanks for the responses. It's roughly in the middle of the barrel. I've slept since then but the outer diameter in the middle of the barrel is just under .6 inches, and the depth of the hole being 4mm, which without going out there seems to be about .3, it's a wonder the barrel isn't cracked. Unless, like someone mentioned, the pressure is low enough it's ok. What's the cost to reline the barrel?

.600-.223=.377÷2=.188 barrel thickness.
    4mm=..157" hole depth. You have about .030" of steel.
    I had a Smith drill a front sight hole too deep and left only .020" of steel. Gun shoots fine, sub moa. Not a problem unless you do something to push the remaining metal into the bore.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I hadn't thought about welding it up causing warping or tempering issues, but that seems to be the consensus from those more experienced than me. I am now wondering if a plug could be silver soldiered in without affecting temper or warping the barrel? Just a question, since they soldier double shotgun barrels. Anybody know?

For the cost it seems that a sleeve or a new barrel would be the best bet if you wanted to fix it permanently and cost effectively. Good luck.

455 Beretta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    WLaf
    With its location and 22LR, what’s the worst that can happen? That should tell you whether it’s worth $40 or not. (I don’t know the answer).

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    What is the hole size? Can it be tapped with a bottom tap and a set screw put in?

There is so little metal at the bottom of the hole, it runs the risk of the tap pushing the thin metal into the bore. Also the risk of tightening a screw too much and pushing the metal into the bore. That's what happened to me, and the spike in pressure caused primers to blow. Put a little liquid metal in there, sand smooth, touch of bluing, call it good.

Top Bottom