Will changing Glock frame change sight alignment?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I tried to build a Polymer 80 Glock 19 clone. I have had nothing but issues even though this was a 100% frame that was complete and serialized from Brownells. Polymer 80 apparently does not offer refunds or exchanges for defective frames. So I am now working with Brownells on a refund. According to them, management will have to discuss it and see if they will offer me a refund for a defective frame. Not pleased about that.....

I own a Gen 3 19 already. I stripped it to the frame, installed the parts from my Polymer 80 frame into the OEM frame and it works perfectly. I think this is conclusive proof that the Polymer 80 frame is to blame.

My question is this.....

I installed Wilson Combat Vickers Battle sights and they were shooting about 6" low at 25 yards. After trying several other distances and using some front sight height calculators online, I consistently came up with the shorter sight height needed. I had to replace that Wilson / Vickers fiber optic front sight with a Dawson Precision one to get the correct height. I gotta say, the Dawson is considerably brighter and crisper to my eyes.

However, now that I am purchasing a stripped G19 frame to use on this same build...will this change my sight alignment and necessitate another sight purchase?

I was thinking about it...I am using the same exact slide and barrel. So I would think that lockup should be the same. That is primarily what determines sight alignment...correct?

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Changing the frame will change the sight acquisition.

Let me explain...

On a Glock 21, the rear of the frame pushed into my hand too much forcing the gun to aim high. After frame adjustments, when I press out, the aim is dead on.

Now, it doesn't affect the sights. Just the acquisition.

Make sense?

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    You are correct...slide and barrel determine sight height and windage...same slide and barrel should be same sight set-up!
    Keep in mind that, like a fixed-sight revolver, when changing the grip, it's always best shoot it a bit to make sure that your adjusted grip-hold matches your sight picture!
    You may need to shoot it several times...and be prepared to make a few minor adjustments but, yes, your sight set-up should be the same!

Top Bottom