• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Curious if anyone knows what causes a firing pin drag / smear mark on a pistol primer? Is the firing pin not retracted when the case is ejected? Should I somehow attempt to radius the firing pin hole so that the pin doesn't hang up sticking out of the breech face?

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    From what I have read it has to do with timing. A lot of things come into play. Ammo type standard vs. +P, recoil spring weight, slide weight/velocity. The small 9s are good for it( M&P Shield, G43, Sig365 ) the other small ones may also have it. Un less it is on a full size gun I wouldn't worry. If it is on a full size that is stock I would look at replacing the recoil spring and the firing pin spring. The other thing would be ammo.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    On a full size if the firing pin is still protruding from the breach face when the case hits the ejector you have a bad firing pin return spring or junk in the firing pin channel. Also check for a bent firing pin.

Do not put oil in the firing pin channel un less you want a sticking firing pin.

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    This is on my Steyr M9-A1. Gun runs fine with the factory striker spring but still has the drag mark on the primer. I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue when using a lighter striker spring. Lighter striker spring = lighter trigger.

My lightened striker spring will sometimes "light strike" harder primer NATO rounds and, occasionally, it'll lock up the action. The mark on the primer makes me think it's pressing the firing pin into the side of the sharp firing pin hole & getting stuck.

I only use the gun with the lighter spring for action pistol & USPSA. The gun LOVES NATO 124 gr ball & shoots into one ragged hole @ 15+ yards. I can clear a FTF pretty quick but if it locks up while I'm on the timer, I'm toast.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    This sounds like the slide is not fully in battery when the striker is released. The next time it jams check the slide is it completely in battery. If the slide is not in battery it could be. Weak recoil spring or to low a power spring, tight lock up, tight chamber, bad ammo also check does the cartridge rim slide up the slide face and under the extractor with minimal pressure.

If it goes into battery easily and enough rounds pass the plunk test to eliminate over size casings and tight chamber and the case slides in to position on the slide easily you need to look at the striker.

Eject the round does it have a striker mark on the primer and were is it.
    Clean and check the striker.

You may have to use the OEM striker spring for that ammo or use federal primers in hand loads with the lighter spring.

Top Bottom