Anything tricky about installing a different 1911 slide release?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've had to trim them down to keep bullet noses from rubbing on them during feeding.

Don't forget that your barrel link hinges on the slide release pin. That fit needs to be precise also.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Don't forget that your barrel link hinges on the slide release pin. That fit needs to be precise also.

Seems weird to me, working on a new Les Baer with the 1.5" 50 yard guarantee. OEM slide release is such a loose fit on the oem barrel link that you can actually see light through the hole in the link with the pin pushed through it.

Appreciate the replies, was hoping the Jerry Kuhnhausen book had a slide release for dummies section but apparently not.

Ever seen a 'here's how you do it" thing on you-tube or equivalent?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Seems weird to me, working on a new Les Baer with the 1.5" 50 yard guarantee. OEM slide release is such a loose fit on the oem barrel link that you can actually see light through the hole in the link with the pin pushed through it.

Appreciate the replies, was hoping the Jerry Kuhnhausen book had a slide release for dummies section but apparently not.

Ever seen a 'here's how you do it" thing on you-tube or equivalent?

The pin will not be all that tight in the actual link hole. Not sloppy either. The pin actually registers on the ramp to put the barrel into lock up.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    The pin will not be all that tight in the actual link hole. Not sloppy either. The pin actually registers on the ramp to put the barrel into lock up.

What CM said^^^^^^

Its not important that the slide stop be tight in link hole. What’s important is that the lower lugs are tight on the slide stop at lockup. I would measure old and new pin diameters with a micrometer accurate to tenths. Those pistols are generally fit so tight that half a thou bigger might cause u lockup issues.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Do you want to change it because you think somethings wrong or you just like the style of a different mfg's part?

9mm gun, on occasion the magazine followers (3 different brands) can end up wedged between the slide release and the frame. It appears that I have a 45 slide release in a 9mm gun.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    9mm gun, on occasion the magazine followers (3 different brands) can end up wedged between the slide release and the frame. It appears that I have a 45 slide release in a 9mm gun.

Most likely they'd want you to send everything in but if you just want to do it yourself i'd order either a Harrison Design or an EGW, as someone said above just measure the axle diameter first as these companies offer standard and oversize as well.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Most likely they'd want you to send everything in but if you just want to do it yourself i'd order either a Harrison Design or an EGW, as someone said above just measure the axle diameter first as these companies offer standard and oversize as well.

https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/hd-400-extreme-service-slide-stop

Had not heard of Harrison, that looks interesting.

I'd send the gun in to LB and let them fix it if the offer was there, but so far it isn't there (contacted them by email last week) so I'll give it a bit more time & then the job needs done one way or the other.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/hd-400-extreme-service-slide-stop

Had not heard of Harrison, that looks interesting.

I'd send the gun in to LB and let them fix it if the offer was there, but so far it isn't there (contacted them by email last week) so I'll give it a bit more time & then the job needs done one way or the other.

He's one of the premier 1911 guys out there, if he makes the part I need I usually get it from him, the stuff's top notch. Good luck with the Baer, shouldn't be a big deal to get it fixed up.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    He's one of the premier 1911 guys out there, if he makes the part I need I usually get it from him, the stuff's top notch. Good luck with the Baer, shouldn't be a big deal to get it fixed up.

Thanks and thanks. Baer will get fixed, I will probably drop my fan boy club membership though, had a 45 premier 2 that was perfect so I wasn't figuring I'd need to be screwing around with the 9.
    My luck with custom /semi custom has been 1-great (Baer 45), 1-total nightmare (Fusion 2011), 3-Good after sending back for repairs (STI's),1-Very good minor growing pains(Benny Hill 2011), 1-Bad but haven't given up (S&W 929).

People who buy Glocks have a lot going for them.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Man that is hurtful.....:):

I have had some teething pains with my customs but I expect it. Part of that process. Never opted to buy into the Wilson/Baer/Fusion silliness.

It is sad that you pay 2-4k for a pistol and it doesn't work. It happens and I get it, but it still sucks when it does. Really all you can ask for is that whoever built it, stands behind it.

Top Bottom