Can you polish an idiot mark out of a SS 1911 slide?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That will work to get after the deep stuff but a proper finish will require a motor mounted wheel. Harbor freight has everything you need for this with the proper compounds.
    I saw that one. It is a beat up piece. Makes me leery of it on the whole. I have owned a couple of them. They are shooters.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    That will work to get after the deep stuff but a proper finish will require a motor mounted wheel. Harbor freight has everything you need for this with the proper compounds.
    I saw that one. It is a beat up piece. Makes me leery of it on the whole. I have owned a couple of them. They are shooters.

Thanks. Interesting.

Agreed about the leery part, just do not know.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Yes, you can. Just did this recently. Be very careful if you use power tools. I used 2000 grit emery cloth and the Semicrome polish. Blended it in with the entire side of the frame.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

What about it is beat up? I see the idiot marks but nothing else stands out.

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009

Gotta agree on the leary, I would want to do a real good inspection on the internal parts, frame and, slide. Anyone that could bugger up a slide just by trying to put the slide stop in makes me wonder what else could be chewed up. Lot of coin for that unknown. :dunno: Don't mean to bash the gun.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Gotta agree on the leary, I would want to do a real good inspection on the internal parts, frame and, slide. Anyone that could bugger up a slide just by trying to put the slide stop in makes me wonder what else could be chewed up. Lot of coin for that unknown. :dunno: Don't mean to bash the gun.

Exactly. If you are looking at a car with some serious garfs in the drivers side paint you will want to take a closer look. Just because. It may well be just fine.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Meh, a few hundred draws from the kydex and those scratches will in blend with the rest of the earned wear marks.

Wish I'd have found a potential noticeable discount idiot mark like that when I was shopping 1911's. :spend:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I agree. How do you know this piece is beat up?

OK.........It is an assumption due to the poor handling from some previous owner. It has been round for a good while as it has the blue box. Is that good enough to cover an opinion. I buy and build these all the time. I have 4 on the bench right now. Just the way I look at things. I mean no direct slam on the seller but money is it is a flip.

Now, in the perspective of BWF it could be mechanically sound. That would be for the buyer to decide.
    Would I buy it.....depends. I have owned a few of these and they are serious shooters out of the box. Is it worth that money.....look at the current market. It is soft as a marshmallow bunny. Hard to get solid money for a well kept pieces as the market is swinging towards things plastic and cheap.

Now, does that cover it for ya-all.......:):.....:stickpoke:

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Yea that about covers it. But as you should know your opinion carries weight around INGO site, so stating that anothers item is "BEAT UP" may just throw up a red flag. Seller did state that the item had some flaws (scratches ). Saying its beat up is a stretch and should be left to a potential buyer to decide on his or her own. Put the shoe on the the other foot! How would CM feel if your item was labeled BEAT UP?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yea that about covers it. But as you should know your opinion carries weight around INGO site, so stating that anothers item is "BEAT UP" may just throw up a red flag. Seller did state that the item had some flaws (scratches ). Saying its beat up is a stretch and should be left to a potential buyer to decide on his or her own. Put the shoe on the the other foot! How would CM feel if your item was labeled BEAT UP?[/QUOTE

I realize this and have tried to express it is up to the buyer to decide.
    Just expressing a personal opinion. Again no knock on that gun.

I will refer back to my analogy on buying a used car and also what BWF stated. It all holds water.
    I hope the best for seller/buyer

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    It's hard to tell from the pictures how bad they are being polished stainless. I would start with some fine/very fine (often maroon or grey color) scotchbrite from the hardware store (not to be confused with what you see at the grocery etc.). I'd try that before breaking out the sand paper or any power tools. Tape off any bead blasted areas and run with the grain.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Between the hi point project thread and this thread, I have a hankering for trying my hand at putting tool to steel... Haha, anyone have a gun they don't want that needs love?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's hard to tell from the pictures how bad they are being polished stainless. I would start with some fine/very fine (often maroon or grey color) scotchbrite from the hardware store (not to be confused with what you see at the grocery etc.). I'd try that before breaking out the sand paper or any power tools. Tape off any bead blasted areas and run with the grain.

The slab side of the slide frame on this piece requires I keep after it. Red scotch brite with the grain as a touch up. They can and will get scratched. Not sure how much of a deep scratch this would deal with but yes, a solid point to start from.

zq4LOWp.jpg

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The slab side of the slide frame on this piece requires I keep after it. Red scotch brite with the grain as a touch up. They can and will get scratched. Not sure how much of a deep scratch this would deal with but yes, a solid point to start from.

zq4LOWp.jpg

Great looking gun, yeah I imagine that wall of stainless takes some upkeep!

Top Bottom