Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

User Info Menu

That's a good railroad knife. Everything for lunch including a cork screw.

Hop

User Info Menu

She forgot that she bought me one just like this for Christmas a couple years ago. Still... 59 cents is 59 cents! I might need to modify the angle of the fork as I think it'll keep happening despite me learning to not be an idiot (recent edumacation).

I'll try some Flitz &/or a Dremel SIC polishing wheel. I've been pretty impressed with those little felt polishers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bwframe View Post
    It'll polish right out...

Go see AllemM stat

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bwframe View Post
    It'll polish right out...

Did that used to be this?

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drillsgt View Post
    Did that used to be this?

Oh yeah. I carried it every day for a few years. It seen at least a couple seasons of USPSA also.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Yes, you can. Just did this recently. Be very careful if you use power tools. I used 2000 grit emery cloth and the Semicrome polish. Blended it in with the entire side of the frame.
    Seems like the blending would be the hardest part!

User Info Menu

This thread got pretty spicy..

But on the original topic, I'm pretty sure I could polish just about anything at this point. I started with a turd (see my Mansfield thread). The level of polishing is what will drive a person insane though. You can put a quick buff and pull out the scratches with some sandpaper and finishing file... Looks good, then you try a little polishing compound... wow looks real good, then you get your dremel out and some red compound.... looks really good, then you break out a wheel and cut it down to white.... Loooks realllly good, then you have to hand polish out the areas the wheel won't touch... then you have to explain why you are spending so much time in the garage listening to music, drinking beer and polishing your 5" slide.

Moral being if the scratch is purely superficial and not a crack or other catastrophic damage to the metal part (or plastic even) you can polish it out.

Plinker

User Info Menu

It sure did get spicy!!
    I can say Iíve seen scratches like this get buffed and polished out, those donít SEEM to bad but I didnít see it in person. Iíve not seen idiot scratches like that on the slide, someone really had problems.

User Info Menu

Fill the scratches with some JB weld. Give it a couple of passes on the 60 grit grinding wheel. Hit it with some spray lacquer and all is good.
    Sometimes you gotta drink some coffee, put on some rock and roll and handle your business.

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drillsgt View Post
    Go see AllemM stat
    I can assure everyone that bwframeís 1911 has made it to AllenM for a bit of love. It was cleaned up and checked by the master and had a bit of time in the mill for some ball cuts on the front of the slide. It now resides in my range bag where it gets a steady diet of full mags and still shoots lights out.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast