• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redleg16

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    So i finished my first AR-15 build with Delton upper and lower parts, Anderson lower. Built as a starter but i tried to not put the cheapest parts on i could find. It has gone to the range, about 300 rds through it, fires well, just normal breaking in.

I found a video about bolt carrier groups and found out i had the ar-15 style bolt carrier group as compared to the m16 style. That did not concern me too much as it fired well on the range, but i did see that on the bolt carrier key had those "yfs" stamped screws which according the the video are ok for other applications but not so much for the bcg. It also has a poor stake on the screws. So my question is do just replace the screws and re-stake them, or order a whole new m16 bcg, if they half step on the screws, maybe the quality of the whole bcg should be questioned?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    If this is a range toy I'd leave it alone. At best, stake it a little more with a punch and hammer.

The stakes are only to keep the bolts from loosening as you heat/cool the gun. If you're not having a gas problem they're tight enough.

While I've never had a Delton part fail, if it were my home defense gun, I'd get a good quality BCG sometime when I could afford one.

Rock on, test it out some more. Let us know how it does.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

redleg16

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the advice. I know I am walking into the tall grass here, but when I upgrade this weapon, any advice for a good bcg without killing the back account? The next step would be for a home defense weapon.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Bcg is a touchy subject for lot of folks. Good luck. My advice, follows hops. If it is going to be run more than a couple hundred rounds a year then look into I higher quality bcg. I really like my bcm. ~$180. I have a psa bcg in a few builds, they aren't pretty but they'll run. I have one with a couple k rounds with out a single issue, except with tula ammo.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I've got a coupled of them stashed for spares. Both of them headspace good in all my rifles, so they are ready to drop into anything if the need arises. One is the black nitride and one is the phosphate 158 because I couldn't decide which one is the best, so I bought one of each a while back.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    OP, if it runs well there’s probably no reason to mess with it. It’s easy to go down a rabbit hole looking up things on the internet. Everyone has a different opinion.

As far as a quality BCG for hard use, I recommend following the MilSpec, (with one possible exception). That means Carpenter 158 bolt (or 9310 heat treated, from a reputable manufacturer **) that is shot peened and at least MPI, hardened gas key with grade 8 fasteners, tool steel extractor, etc etc.. Coatings are hotly debated, but good old phosphate BCGs with chrome lined carrier and gas key work.

Lots of people recommend PSA’s Premium BCG and toolcraft brand (they make quite a few companies carriers) because of the price, just make sure everything works when you get it. I recommended a PSA Premium to a friend and it had very weak ejection. Luckily it was just a weak ejector spring, but with the amount of bolts they sell there’s bound to be some QC issues. You pay more for BCM, DD, and some other brands because they do the QC for you.

Top Bottom