Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

So, keep in mind, mig is only minimally used depending on application. If I am wanting to build post samples of heavy framed receivers that have been torch cut... (have a couple I am gonna tackle this summer), wire feed is not a bad application. In fact, you could almost argue it would be easier to use than tig for that application.
    Rafferty Custom Guns, LLC 07/02 FFL/SOT
    Repair, Modifications, and Transfers on all Class III items
    Custom Built 1911 and 2011 Competition/Defensive Pistols

User Info Menu

Another application for tig that hasn't been mentioned is for pin and weld of barrel extensions. That can be steel or titanium. I am tackling my first titanium pin and weld on monday actually.

I Care...Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rookie View Post
    So, we're allowed to bypass the filter by using pics? I'll keep that in mind.
    For some reason my Mod access was not cooperating last night.
    No, we can not.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

I Care...Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by praff View Post
    Another application for tig that hasn't been mentioned is for pin and weld of barrel extensions. That can be steel or titanium. I am tackling my first titanium pin and weld on monday actually.
    Never tackled the extreme metals. Usually steel. Some stainless.

Proper tools for the job at hand. Sometimes we learn to use what we have in areas we are told it will not work and have some success.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by praff View Post
    I have done some titanium aerospace parts a few years back. Are you going to weld in a gas box? I will say make sure it's clean, clean, clean. Lots of gas and let it cool super slow.
    Please post some pictures when your done.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat." ~Eldridge Cleaver

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Pigeon View Post
    I have done some titanium aerospace parts a few years back. Are you going to weld in a gas box? I will say make sure it's clean, clean, clean. Lots of gas and let it cool super slow.
    Please post some pictures when your done.
    No plan to weld in a gas box. I will rig a purge outside of the gas cup as well as the gas cup. Yes clean is very important from what I understand. It isn't gonna take much heat as I am gonna press/mushroom a little excess of the pin and barely melt it into a puddle

Marksman

User Info Menu

I'm NOT a weldor (or THE weldor I employ),
    I watched some of the titanium heat shields being welded, with gas capture fed by inert gas on the backside, flood cups pouring gas on the front side.

I burn stick & MIG wire, TIG isn't more art than I'm capable of, way too many variables controlling the welder controls, torch, feed material, etc for me to keep track of. It's coordination & art in motion I don't have.

Any chucklehead can burn rod, and with a little practice it will actually penetrate instead of being bird , I'm proof.
    The sheer weight of bird kept my earliest welds from taking off...

MIG is stupid easy, even I can do it, the heat, spatter, inaccuracy doesn't particularly lend itself well to gunsmithing.

There is no way I would stick or even MIG weld a heat treated receiver, some riveted slab sider maybe, but not a heat treated tube receiver. I wouldn't want a customer eating the bolt & back of the receiver...

Plinker

User Info Menu

Funny you should ask, although I am no gunsmith. At all. In any way. But I did royally screw up a lower Friday, tried to use a drill bit instead of a mill to drill out the hole for the trigger, and it wandered bad. First pic is the wandered hole.
    GmR3g7LYRamPwt2ZbmTW3A.jpg
    Here we are with the tigged part, not a good fix at all and my jig is worn so I got the sidewalls too thin anyway so gave up on the whole lower, but did learn I 'could' weld on something this small/light if I had too, with some practice. Will keep practicing, but probably on farm equipment/truck parts.
    VcawCzjLQL6cs6V8A3Vg7A.jpg

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
    I'm NOT a weldor (or THE weldor I employ),
    I watched some of the titanium heat shields being welded, with gas capture fed by inert gas on the backside, flood cups pouring gas on the front side.

I burn stick & MIG wire, TIG isn't more art than I'm capable of, way too many variables controlling the welder controls, torch, feed material, etc for me to keep track of. It's coordination & art in motion I don't have.

Any chucklehead can burn rod, and with a little practice it will actually penetrate instead of being bird , I'm proof.
    The sheer weight of bird kept my earliest welds from taking off...

MIG is stupid easy, even I can do it, the heat, spatter, inaccuracy doesn't particularly lend itself well to gunsmithing.

There is no way I would stick or even MIG weld a heat treated receiver, some riveted slab sider maybe, but not a heat treated tube receiver. I wouldn't want a customer eating the bolt & back of the receiver...
    I did MIG the pin of the flash hider on a 14" barrel once because MIG is all I had. Nervous as all get out, I mean by that time you're almost done with the whole thing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post

People have been migging machine gun parts kit receivers for decades. Everything from Brens to DPMís to galils to uziís to mg42ís etc. if done correctly with good penetration and solid welds, there is no issue.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast