Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

How much do gunsmiths use a welder???

So in the past, my tig welder has been used to fix mistakes. I find myself using it more and more on a regular basis as my skills continue to improve.

The following is a really good example of proactively using the welder for a customer project. I am fitting a new frame, slide, barrel to an existing set of small parts and grip. The thumb safety proved to be non-functional when the parts were assembled. The sear pad had been cut just a little to far for this combination of frame and old parts. So...out comes the tig welder. I was able to weld uo the sear pad and re-cut which saved the customer 60-100 in parts as well as additional labor to fit and blend the new safeties.

How much does everyone else use the welder???

07/02 Manufacturer FFL/SOT
    Full Custom 1911 and 2011 Competition and Defensive pistols
    Class III Manufacturing, Gunsmithing and NFA Transfers
    Cerakote Application

User Info Menu

Tig welding is one of those skills I wish I had, fixing parts that aren't made anymore, priceless.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

I have Tig and a Mig. I need to start using them both again as this is a perishable skill.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    I have Tig and a Mig. I need to start using them both again as this is a perishable skill.
    I agree that you need to keep up some practice. My skills have improved 10 fold and I find more real uses for it in the shop every month.
    07/02 Manufacturer FFL/SOT
    Full Custom 1911 and 2011 Competition and Defensive pistols
    Class III Manufacturing, Gunsmithing and NFA Transfers
    Cerakote Application

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon. AllenM's Avatar

User Info Menu

I picked one up a little while ago and am learning how to use it. Fortunately I have a guy right down the road that tigs daily and he has helped out when needed. best thing I have used it for is welding up improperly cut sight dovetail for recutting
    07 FFL / SOT 2

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston Churchill

Expert

User Info Menu

TIG welders *Sometimes* come in handy, 'Stick' welders are useless, MIG welders are next to useless.

It's often the Heat Zone that's the issue, annealing is a huge issue when trying to repair/build heat treated parts.

For blemish repair, silver solder often works without reaching temps that screw up heat treating.
    Good for filling in dings & gouges since finishes will stick to it.
    Making new SECTIONS and grafting on replacements for mangled areas often is a viable alternative for complicated parts that have something simple wrong with them.
    An example is oval shaped holes that need to be round, drill out round, silver solder in a sleeve.
    Levers, like hammers, often have pivot holes misshapen, and milling off the mangled part, then grafting on a replacement with silver solder often works.

TIG welding is far more precise than Stick or TIG, and it has a smaller heat zone around the weld. Welding heat dam material will lessen the heat zone, I have switched to plumbers putty, re-useable and works just as well, maybe better than the actual welding stuff.

Depending on skill level, you can lay down some fairly hard surface material with TIG.
    I'm no weldor, but I employ one that can weld almost anything (including titanium) and he can work miracles in some stuff.
    He isn't bashful about telling me what welding WON'T work on, the mark of a REALLY good weldor!

Welder = Machine
    Weldor = Man Doing The Welding

For those of you wanting to do silver soldering or brazing, consider an induction heater.
    This makes silver soldering or paste brazing stupid simple.
    Very little I weld anymore since the weldor showed me how easy paste brazing & silver soldering is with an induction heater.

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
    TIG welders *Sometimes* come in handy, 'Stick' welders are useless, MIG welders are next to useless.

It's often the Heat Zone that's the issue, annealing is a huge issue when trying to repair/build heat treated parts.

For blemish repair, silver solder often works without reaching temps that screw up heat treating.
    Good for filling in dings & gouges since finishes will stick to it.
    Making new SECTIONS and grafting on replacements for mangled areas often is a viable alternative for complicated parts that have something simple wrong with them.
    An example is oval shaped holes that need to be round, drill out round, silver solder in a sleeve.
    Levers, like hammers, often have pivot holes misshapen, and milling off the mangled part, then grafting on a replacement with silver solder often works.

TIG welding is far more precise than Stick or TIG, and it has a smaller heat zone around the weld. Welding heat dam material will lessen the heat zone, I have switched to plumbers putty, re-useable and works just as well, maybe better than the actual welding stuff.

Depending on skill level, you can lay down some fairly hard surface material with TIG.
    I'm no weldor, but I employ one that can weld almost anything (including titanium) and he can work miracles in some stuff.
    He isn't bashful about telling me what welding WON'T work on, the mark of a REALLY good weldor!

Welder = Machine
    Weldor = Man Doing The Welding

For those of you wanting to do silver soldering or brazing, consider an induction heater.
    This makes silver soldering or paste brazing stupid simple.
    Very little I weld anymore since the weldor showed me how easy paste brazing & silver soldering is with an induction heater.
    I will only disagree with "A wire machine is useless" as I have laid down miles of wire with great success. The key (as with Tig) is prep. Clean and dry. No oils solvents or coatings.

Years behind a torch brazing/Silver soldering. Same thing. Prep.

Never done the induction thing but have seen it used in certain applications.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

Expert

User Info Menu

If you are going to quote, at least get it right...
    I said NEXT to useless, simply because it's not precise and builds way too much heat.
    I can say this because I've ruined parts trying to build up with MIG welding, not just firearms parts.

As for induction heating, much more precise than flame heating, and no contamination in the joint.

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
    If you are going to quote, at least get it right...
    I said NEXT to useless, simply because it's not precise and builds way too much heat.
    I can say this because I've ruined parts trying to build up with MIG welding, not just firearms parts.

As for induction heating, much more precise than flame heating, and no contamination in the joint.
    Hey......37/38 what ever works.

In its proper vein Migs are great. Outside of that they can be "Next" to useless.

When I do the solders I am in a place that the induction thing is not an option. I am pretty slick with a torch. I stopped burning stuff up a long long time ago.

I have a few friends that torch weld aluminum. They are amazing. They also do this all day most every day.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

User Info Menu

So, we're allowed to bypass the filter by using pics? I'll keep that in mind.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast