• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstrahl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Franklin
    A couple of months ago I traded for 338 Lapua rifle that has a custom Bartlein barrel on it. I asked the previous owner if he knew what the thread pitch was so I could get the correct brake once I got my suppressor. He was the second owner, but believed it was 5/8 x 24.

Fast forward to last night and I tried the direct thread module that came with my Hybrid. It would only spin on maybe 2 turns before getting tight and I didn't want to force it and potentially booger something up. I tried it on a barrel that I know is in fact 5/8 x 24 and it went on just fine. I then tried the brake that was already on the custom barrel on the known barrel and it did the same thing, spin on maybe 2 turns before getting tight and going no further.

Is there an easy way I can figure out what the threads actually are? My first thought was to take the existing brake into a hardware store and see if I could find a bolt that would screw into it. Does that sound like it could work or is there a better/easier way that I'm missing? Thanks!

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    Use could use a caliper for the diameter and a thread gauge to determine the pitch. It is probably a finer pitch than typical hardware store stock.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    What Backpacker said, assuming you have these tools, but they aren't that expensive and can come in handy.

jstrahl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Franklin
    Thanks guys. I do already have a set of calipers. It looks like the gauge can be had for around $12 on Amazon so I'll just order one. Sadly I couldn't find them on Harbor Freight's site.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Thanks guys. I do already have a set of calipers. It looks like the gauge can be had for around $12 on Amazon so I'll just order one. Sadly I couldn't find them on Harbor Freight's site.

Yep just buy a cheap set of thread pitch gages

Last edited:

Knight Rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Michiana
    Pitch is just 1/distance between thread peaks. Use the calipers to measure the spread on 10 threads and do the math. 10/measurement = pitch.
    Or use a gage.

Top Bottom