• ...and so much more!
  • Luckyoldguy

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 20, 2017
    NE Indianapolis
    I am working on a M1917 Colt revolver (the military version of the Colt New Service revolver made in 1918 ) that Bubba got his hands on. I have it back to shooting condition and tried it out a few times. It shoots really well but to the left. I have confirmed this using multiple test methods/sessions. After looking carefully it appears the front blade sight is slightly bent (or possibly the barrel is slightly misaligned?). The front sight appears to be brazed to the barrel and I am afraid to try to straighten it for fear of breaking it off where it is brazed. Is anyone aware of a way to bend/align the front sight without the risk of breaking it? I would rather leave it as-is than risk breaking it. Thanks.

cab32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2018
    ROCHESTER
    You are correct. The front sight is brazed into a shallow groove in the barrel and this was accomplished at the factory when the barrel was made and before final finishing. Your options are several, 1. The classic way to adjust windage with fixed sight revolvers is "Kentucky windage" in this case hold to a point to the right of your desired point of impact. 2. With the proper tools the barrel could be twisted slightly clockwise when looking thru the rear sight notch this will cant the front sight slightly left and bring the point of impact right. This will require a barrel blocks a good vise and a frame wrench with fitted inserts. (This is what a factory or some police armorers would have done) 3. The front sight could be bent slightly to give the same effect. This does carry the risk of breakage. 4. the front sight could be thickened on one side by adding material either temporally or permanently or 5. the rear sight groove could be widened on one side
    Given the lack of parts and their expense when found, you are wise to try #1. or perhaps a temporary #4.
    I have been interested in old Colt revolvers since the early '80's and have seen a number of front sights filed lower, bent to one side, or with what appear to have been copper or silver coins used to alter front sights. Less often, I have seen rear sight notches widened and even material added to the rear strap and recut apparently for a better sight picture all from a time when these revolvers and parts were cheap and plentiful.
    Glad you got the old revolver shooting again. CAB

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I thought these old revolvers had silver soldered sights? My old Uberti Cattleman front sight was bent. I straightened it & now it feels weak. :nailbite: I need to find my silver solder and try to fix it.

Luckyoldguy

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 20, 2017
    NE Indianapolis
    Thank you cab32. I really appreciate your input. I think I will go with #1. That's what I did when testing it and was amazed how accurate I could be doing it. I guess the obvious problem with this is that you have to adjust your point of aim offset for different distances but I am not really concerned with that because I don't intend to shoot it very much. It's mostly for my collection and I finally have it back pretty close to original condition and don't want to run the chance of screwing it up again. If I had the right tools, or knew someone who did, I might try #2 but I don't so I won't. Thanks again.

Thank you Hop. Your experience convinced me I don't want to try and straighten it. I have no idea if your Uberti is silver soldered or brazed but I can see just a hint of gold where my sight attaches to the barrel so I'm pretty sure it's brazed. My guess is that both methods were used by different manufactures but that is just a guess.

Top Bottom