• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtcookson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2019
    Howard
    Hey guys, have a question about barrel threading. My friend is absolutely convinced that no one in Indiana will thread a barrel due to legal issues, he was told by a shop it's illegal in Indiana. I can't for the life of me find any confirmation but rather am finding a member and shop recommended on here that will do it in somewhat recent threads.

Can someone set the record straight for him, whether it can still be done or not? Thanks!

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    It is perfectly legal, can be done by most competent gunsmiths, and is probably done a hundred times a week as it is. Hell, I've had probably a dozen guns threaded in the last ten years or so.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    And how would someone put their suppressor, brake, etc on without a threaded barrel... tell your friend to stop listening to gun store rumors.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Welcome to the group!

:welcome:

It is really a shame when someone who knows not talks like they know all. That said, it is perfectly legal in Indiana to thread your barrel. Indiana is one of the most firearm friendly states in the USA and we are really mostly bound by federal laws that infringe.

mtcookson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2019
    Howard
    Thanks everyone! I work at a gun store so am mostly up on gun laws but don't live in Indiana anymore so wasn't up on the state laws. I knew it couldn't possibly be true but scoured everything I could for him anyway trying to prove whoever he talked to wrong. Will let him know so he can finally be assured that he was fed some major BS.

The guy at the shop told him Indiana forbade threading barrels but didn't disallow threaded barrels from the factory. Called BS on it but he wouldn't believe me. AllenM comes highly recommended from my searches on here so I'll get my friend to get in touch with him when he's ready to get one threaded.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Yea that's BS, let him know he can text me at 317 833 4087 when he is ready

mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    Hey All......
    On this topic, I have a .22lr barrel that has a slip on “flash hider” that is secured with a set screw. My question is what’s the minimum material needed on the barrel to thread it.
    The length is .630 with an OD of .500
    If anyone can do it, I definitely would like to have done.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    .500 is what is required to cut 1/2x28 threads which is standard for 22 cal.
    But if the barrel is .500 now it would not leave a shoulder to butt up against. you could do it for a flash hider but using a suppressor on it would be sketchy

mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    but using a suppressor on it would be sketchy

Could any type of crush washer or spacer be used to achieve running a muffler on such a loud rifle?

Top Bottom