• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwilbs00

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2019
    RIchmond
    What does everyone like to see when it comes to AR Pistols?

Length ?
    Caliber ?
    Folding Brace ?
    Proprietary Components ?

I've built a couple let me know what you think.
    IMG_0456.jpg IMG_0457.jpg PART_1546394763563.jpg PART_1546394763685.jpg PART_1546395082034.jpg

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I've learned to focus on a 10.5"+ barrel for 5.56, 8" barrel for .300blk, good barrel/muzzle device, bolt and trigger and ammo...thats where I run into the necessity for quality parts

chenowethpm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I like it when the muzzle brake sticks out from the handgaurd just a little, i don’t really like the look of the ones where the muzzle device is flush with the handgaurd. Obviously these are just aesthetic issues and not functional ones. It only really matters what you think when it comes to your guns!

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Only one I have is a 7.5" chambered in 300. Optic varies between iron sights and a Primary Arms 1-6 optic that I have. I might find a red dot for it later this year.
    The rail on mine will likely be swapped out for a full length rail when my suppressor comes in, as that suppressor is mainly for this gun. So the rail will hide most of it and I think it will look pretty slick that way.

I'll have some spare parts after that and I'm looking into building a 10.5" 556 upper using an A2 front sight. Will post some pics later.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I may or may not have one.

I've shot 10.5" and 11.5" in 5.56. I like 11.5" more than anything less than that.

I've had a chance to shoot 7.5" 5.56 guns - but I'm honestly not sure if I ever have.

I've toyed with the idea of an 8.5" .300BO upper for subs - but I don't know if I'll ever pull that proverbial trigger.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    What do I like to see?

Length ? 10.5" to 12.5" barrels. Anything under that, while still VERY powerful and deadly, is anemic comparative to longer barrel lengths. Also usually adds enough length to allow for a foregrip on a pistol.
    Caliber ? 5.56 for anything 10.5" and up, .300 black for shorter than that. I have an 8" .300 that rocks out and I've hunted in other states with it. Runs very well and comparatively quiet with supersonics compared to similarly long 5.56 guns.
    Folding Brace ? No thanks. Unless it can shoot folded, I have no use for a folder. I've had one, sold it after about a week of having it. My 10.5 can be assembled as quickly and fit in a similarly sized area compared to a folder and GOOD folders are expensive.
    Proprietary Components ? None thank you. 10.5" and above use common gas tubes and parts with longer versions (carbine gas) and are literally 100% compatible with longer guns parts.

The 7.5"5.56 I had I liked, but for fun only. Makes for a great PDW, but I would not want to live with even MORE tinnitus than I have now. :D

While I thought it was fun, I still do not see a niche in my needs for a 9mm AR. I had a 4.5" PSA 9mm build and it was handy, it still didn't have the umph of 5.56 or .300 and my .300 was a similar size, more versatile and the manual of arms was same across the board with my other guns (the PSA I had didn't have a last round hold open and I didn't want to get into the habit of cycling using charging handle over bolt catch). I can hand load 5.56 and .300 for similar cost as decent quality 9mm, so I can't use that argument. The recoil impulse, even after tuning the buffer and more, still was excessive compared to my 5.56 guns. Choppy, snappy and not as smooth as 5.56. Plus, at the time, it was the only Glock magazine weapon I had, so I wanted to uniform to STANAG mags which can be used across all my guns (except my revolvers, lol). Others use them, like them, more power to them.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I like it when the muzzle brake sticks out from the handgaurd just a little, i don’t really like the look of the ones where the muzzle device is flush with the handgaurd. Obviously these are just aesthetic issues and not functional ones. It only really matters what you think when it comes to your guns!

As shown in the pics above, the flush "muzzle brake" as you call it is actually a "Flash Can", or "Blast Can". These devices send all the flash, sound and energy forward only, which is why they can be recessed into the handguard, since nothing is coming out the sides of the device.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I like simple for an AR-style pistol. mine has a slick upper, no FA, brass deflector or ejector port cover. No rails on the handguard.

20180709_195640.jpg

Sorry not a great picture. it's (obviously) the one on the right.

Top Bottom