• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I have two Department owned Model 37 SBS's that need some new protection. Both guns have been sitting in storage for a long time and accumulated surface rust. I'm going to scrub them clean but would like to paint them to protect them more than bluing. I've krylon'd and used bake on duracoat or spray paint on beater shotguns several times with varying degrees of durability and want to know if anyone else has had much more success? Any input for something that won't scratch off at the first brush with a foreign object?

I did get a quote for cerakoting from a SOT but didn't end up getting the expenditure approved and don't want to come out of pocket on guns I don't own.

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I have used DuraCoat on two hand guns and am pleased with the results. They are range guns, so don't get holstered or carried on a daily basis. Full cure time on DuraCoat is 3 weeks.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Cerakote is a better product than duracote. However - it's also more difficult to apply. Typically done by professional applicators (as you know), I do believe they have a do-it-yourself-at-home line of products.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Cerakote (oven cured) is 10 times more durable than Duracoat. I have not used their air-dry product, but I would assume that it is comparable to Duracoat's product.

Prep is key on any surface you are applying a finish to...paint, Cerakote, parkerizing, bluing...whatever.

Herr Vogel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Rossburg
    I would strongly suggest you consider steaming and carding to repair the original finish. It's not going to be any more labor intensive than sanding it down, and water is cheaper than high temperature paint. See attached video.

EDIT: Fixed video embed.

[video=youtube;B2SyN6m39x4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2SyN6m39x4[/video]

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Shotgun Painting

These aren't that good. I'm still working on my brushstrokes. :rolleyes:

Dkuq2gw.jpg

ktyw1OJ.jpg

7yVi6xI.jpg

abeguzmanmarine

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    TERRE HAUTE
    I used Duracoat Blue on an old Stevens. It turned out pretty nice. only shot it once since it was finished so I cant speak to the longevity yet, but it seems to be pretty durable so far. Below are just a few pics from the DuraBlue project.

E3TYsDe.jpg

v8t0Q9j.jpg

iXU8OVk.jpg

Lcv4ioo.jpg

AdamP123

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2017
    West-Central
    I have two Department owned Model 37 SBS's that need some new protection. Both guns have been sitting in storage for a long time and accumulated surface rust. I'm going to scrub them clean but would like to paint them to protect them more than bluing. I've krylon'd and used bake on duracoat or spray paint on beater shotguns several times with varying degrees of durability and want to know if anyone else has had much more success? Any input for something that won't scratch off at the first brush with a foreign object?

I did get a quote for cerakoting from a SOT but didn't end up getting the expenditure approved and don't want to come out of pocket on guns I don't own.

Check out Aluma-Hyde II. It is a great finish. Some people bash it, but I am fairly sure 95+% of those who complain have poor prep methods. I have probably painted 100+ rifles with it and have had excellent results. Also, what finish do you want? Black? Matte? Gloss?

One things that sucks with Duracoat and Cerakote is that these finishes cannot be stripped easily if you want to change something or refinish the rifle. I've yet to find a stripper that could remove them once they are cured. While some may view that as a good thing, I don't like it. Personally, I like a finish that is 1) durable and 2) resistant to solvents, but 3) can be stripped if I so choose. Aluma-Hyde gets all three marks. If you do end up using Aluma-Hyde, I highly recommend you bake your firearm, even though it is a "no bake" finish. It speeds up cure time from weeks to 30 minutes.

Here are some rifles that I refinished with Aluma-Hyde. All are still holding up just fine.

20909643271_3f773da847_b.jpg

20409959299_bc2f9da02c_b.jpg

15826795006_ae9f4c12a4_b.jpg

14058675839_9e84fa9e46_b.jpg

31006836131_a7859a5f47_b.jpg

26674181138_3ca12b1147_b.jpg

Top Bottom