• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FordMan08

Shooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    24   1   1
    Nov 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    I recently bought a Glock 43 from a friend. It has a factory flat dark earth frame and slide. I’ve color filled the letters on many black Glock slides but this FDE slide feels different. The finish feels as if it would not repel the excess when being wiped off. I want to do a black color fill. Have any of you color filled a FDE slide? If so, what had the best results. Thanks in advance.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    The softest silicone squeegee you can find seems to work best for rougher surfaces for me.
    Cleanup is always more difficult with textured surfaces.
    A squeegee makes it a one pass operation if the surface isn't too rough.

---------

I've done it on textured surfaces with super fine point, down to one hair left in a pin striping brush.
    Depends on how narrow the depression is, one hair will get into the narrowest grooves.
    Leave a Q-tip soaking in solvent to clean up slips...

I tried waxing textured surface but I find that too had to keep out of grooves and get serrated edges.

Clamp things down, including a block to rest you hand on and it usually turns out well.
    I take time to turn the workpiece/block and not my hand, crooking my wrist I make more mistakes, you might have steadier/more flexible hands...

I leave a pad of paper towels handy to roll Q-tips on to remove excess solvent. and
    A saturated mop will squeeze solvent into your grooves, and I just want to rub up the mistake, not dilute the paint.
    The towels let you remove excess paint from the brush if necessary, but I usually just use the side of the paint container.

Hope this gives you some ideas...

Last edited:

AdamP123

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2017
    West-Central
    If you are worried about the paint within the letters not adhering, this is an easy problem to solve if you simply let the paint dry a bit more before removing the excess. I use Testers enamel paint. If you use a slightly abrasive rag and a small amount of acetone, the paint within the letters will be fine.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    If you are worried about the paint within the letters not adhering, this is an easy problem to solve if you simply let the paint dry a bit more before removing the excess. I use Testers enamel paint. If you use a slightly abrasive rag and a small amount of acetone, the paint within the letters will be fine.

I paint also.
    I can't see using something that isn't permanent.

Clean ALL oils (duh) and on smooth 'Slab Siders' I use a bead of paint and a squeegee.
    Squeegee excess onto tape, clean up the tape line and done.
    As fast as I've found to do it, almost instant filling of grooves.
    Blotting paper reduces the paint in the grooves until you get what you want.

The more textured surfaces, common now, it takes more work.
    My hands aren't as steady as they used to be, so I use block rests while getting paint into grooves with an applicator.

I'm often good with Testers paint, a good enamel that doesn't give up easy and you can thin it until it flows without the color washing out.
    I don't know what they use for pigment, but its dense and holds it's color without excessive color fading.
    It resists gun oils & solvents pretty well also.

Top Bottom