• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolffman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    I finished an 80% lower, added the lower parts kit to finish it, and added a 9mm complete upper.
    When it fires, it is pretty decent. But, ~ 4-8 rounds out of a 31 round magazine will fail to cycle properly. That is, a round will fire, but then it will fail to completely eject the spent cartridge, and I usually have to pry the spent, mangled cartridge out of the action before I can have a new round insert into the chamber.
    It occurred to me that I didn't get a parts kit/stock meant for 9mm. It was probably meant for .223 or 5.56.
    Is it possible that my cycling problems are due to a spring that is too strong in the stock?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Im not 100% certain(dont have a 9mm ar) but i believe you need to run a heavy buffer for the 9mm. I know they make specific buffers for 9mm but i believe a H3 buffer is similar.
    Im sure someone that knows way more will be along shortly.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    A 9mm buffer is not only heavier than a carbine buffer but also longer to limit rearward travel. It is frequently used with a stronger spring (extra power or .308) to retard the rearward travel of a blowback 9mm bolt.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Besides buffer & spring, it could well be a mag misalignment issue, or extractor/ejector issue.
    With the case not being ejected it could be the extractor isn't holding the case long enough to solidly contact the ejector, or the ejector isn't doing its job.
    The spring/buffer you need to do anyway, then I would look into the extractor/ejector.

G19G26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    If you stay with a standard length buffer, you need to add either a spacer or 6 quarters to back of buffer tube. I run the quarters and heavy buffer with standard carbine spring.
    Good luck

Top Bottom